No sound after installing new radio head unit

Bigbernie

So I went to crutchfield. Since everything is available local, I got a radio and everything needed to install it.

Kit said it was 07-15 wrangler specific. It came with head unit, scosche wire harness, and scosche mounting brackets.

I made the connections, plugged it in and no sound. Is there something that I'm missing? Do I really need that idatalink thing, even though I don't have anything other than an amp?

If you have the premium sound (subwoofer etc) then yes you %100 need the idatalink that crutchfield suggested.

The way the factory head units talk to the amp is a bit strange. Not wire to wire, but more like a data transfer, hence the idatalink.

If it is not a factory amp, then things get confusing from there. I would think that an early JK with no amp should work without the idatalink, but I can't promise that, and if somebody else put in the amp, then time to follow some wires around.

Reactions: mrjp
That's what I was worried about. I do have the infinity sound system. But other than that, nothing. No uConnect. No extras. Just the amp, speakers and sub.

Yeah, sorry. Was hoping I didn't need it on mine either. My head unit and datalink came out of a different jeep that got in a wreck so I don't have fade control, but I don't notice and the premium system is so vastly superior to the standard speakers that it is a must have option for future jeeps for me.

I'm just curious. One of the Scosche harnesses came with a thing that is for steering paddle controls. Do you think that would work?

If you have the premium sound (subwoofer etc) then yes you %100 need the idatalink that crutchfield suggested.

The way the factory head units talk to the amp is a bit strange. Not wire to wire, but more like a data transfer, hence the idatalink.

If it is not a factory amp, then things get confusing from there. I would think that an early JK with no amp should work without the idatalink, but I can't promise that, and if somebody else put in the amp, then time to follow some wires around.

Yep, X2 to this