New'ish to me 2015 JK

A2112Priest

Supporting Member
Hi all! Just drover her home last night...traded a perfectly performing 07 Tundra in on her. Love the truck, hate the gas mileage. Been a while since being in a Jeep, last one was an 82 CJ7 with 304 bored 60 over, T176 trans, 4in lift, 456 gears and missed her badly. I do have some questions regarding the JK series;

1: Known Engine or Manual Trans issues
2: Seat belt warning intermittent (I've read on the forum there is / may be a bypass but I'd just like to fix it and have it working right
3: Anybody have the Atlas spare Tire carrier? If so, shoot me a message? I got questions on this thing...doesn't open or close very well...adjust latch catch mechanism???
4: Radio SUCKS EGGS...new one on order...anyone have experience with pulling the required dash panels for access????
5: Clutch mileage? 118K on the odo so just curious average life expectancy of a clutch is on these...yeah, I know there are a lot of factors that are involved...how was it driven, much off road etc.... Just trying to plan ahead.

Look forward to get off work!

2015 JK.jpg

A red, 2-door JK. That right there is a fine choice! Probably my favorite combination of all.

Gotta say...everytime i filled up the tundra, my wallet cried. 11MPG at best...no matter how I drove. I even checked on reflashing the ECU...i was told, basically, suc it up buttercup

Love it, I got an 05 and 08, always regretted getting rid of my 78 CJ5 with the 304 and 4 inch lift (the CJ7 was better, ha)

I believe you have the 6 speed, its the NSG370. There are lots of possible issues, but I've got 2 of them, one is great on my JK, the one on my TJ has given fits, there are lots of possibles, but I like the 6 speed. The synchros can cause issues with gears grinding, but the shifting forks have crap plastic pieces. If it has shifting issues that seem to be beginning, I'd change out the transmission gear oil to Redline MTL, it like that fluid.

Thanks @cpwolf, I'll get on that oil swap and keep an ear out for noise. So far, even with 118K miles, the transmission seems pretty tight. Any thoughts on swapping to the B/M shifter? is it really worth it??

On my 05 TJ, I may switch to the B&M. Just because I've had so many issues, and with the NSG, the Germans who designed it, put all the detente's that hold the shifter in gear, springs etc, in the dad gum Shifter and not the transmission, so that part is pretty important.

On my 08 JK, the transmission is awesome, literally night and day. I wouldn't put it on my JK personally.

I've read a ton, and the B&M is very stiff, but people LOve it. The shift will be far shorter as well. No long travel shift anymore, and it's a very easy replacement, so if the $500+ for the B&M is a go, then go for it.

I'll skip it for now then... Mine seems tight enough...not much shaking but haven't had it off road yet. I want to get under the vehicle and work the transfer case a couple times, drain and refill before I do any off roading...

I'll skip it for now then... Mine seems tight enough...not much shaking but haven't had it off road yet. I want to get under the vehicle and work the transfer case a couple times, drain and refill before I do any off roading...
I should be clear, apologies. When I say tight, I mean it's a much shorter shift. I probably used my lay terms, which gets me in trouble on these forums. The B&M will shift in inches I've heard, where the OEM shifter is long. Feedback has been "its weird, you barely move it and it's in gear" type of thing. If yours is tight and all good, I would leave well enough alone, the short shift is more for a speed thing in my opinion, but can be good if you have the $ to drop, to clean up the shift by making it shorter.