Newest Newb

dcooper45

Hello all. I'm excited be here doing the newbie intro. I've been on for about a month now, and so far pretty impressed.

I bought a 2018 JkU sport willy a few months ago. I've had a 2004 Liberty since 2015 and was just about ready to order my second set of new tires for it when I decided it was time to upgrade. So this is my second Jeep but first wrangler.

Been offroading since the 80's when I bought a Baja Bug in high school. It wasn't built well so i sold it and built my own from a $400 bug. Since that time i've owned and built 2 other baja bugs and owned a couple of Nissan 4x4s, Rangers, and finished a Ranger prerunner last year.

I went to body school in the Mid 80's and worked shops for a couple years, worked as an insurance adjuster, and for a five year period, bought salvage vehicles at auctions for other dealers. I currently co-own and run Alpha Roofing in Evanston, so winters are when I have time to work on vehicles and go offroading. Lack of snow this year means i've put on hundreds of offroad miles this winter. Been in Wyoming now for 16 years and owned a Yamaha dealership in Evanston for 5 years. I did some motorcycle racing also and have done desert, enduro and arenacross.

Finally sold the last of my motorcycles and bought the Jeep. I have rebuilt many salvage vehicles over the years and currently have a lift in my garage and a shop in the back with a full home built paint booth. In addition to the jeep, I'm working on an 82 GMC 2wd shortbed street/strip truck doing an LS swap.

So I am certainly no Wrangler expert but might be able to offer some insight on body, paint and salvage vehicle questions.

I live about 5 hours from Moab and planning a trip with my Wife for a 2-3 days right now. Not giddy at all!! Leaving in tomorrow, so right now searching for wife approved trails, she is pretty good but I get the occasional "If you climb that, Im getting out" lol.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! You need to post the obligatory pic of your Jeep in this thread. I think it's a law.

Anyway, what plans do you have for it or are you going to just drive it & learn it a bit? I think people would be surprised at how capable Wranglers are stock and how much fun a "tame" trail really is. Once you throw a big lift, 40's and stuff on it, you'll HAVE to go on the wife-less trails so you're not bored (I've heard that quote practically verbatim in the past).

I've got a small lift and 35s and that is enough to help but keep me off the carnage trails.

;)

Reactions: mrjp
I'm hoping to get to to a regear this winter but i've got a lot of projects. Other than that, sway bar disconnects and maybe gps/backup cam. We will see when I wear out my 35's (which are brand new) I'd consider going bigger but most of my local trails are pretty easy and really no reason to go bigger unless I get on some harder trails that I see the need for bigger tires.

I've been driving my Liberty with 31's for 5 years so i'm currently loving the 35's. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Nothing exotic here but I agree that even a completely stock Wrangler is very capable. I bought the Jeep thinking that If I wanted the most capable offroad vehicle, the Wrangle was going to be hard to beat. One thing I like about the Willys package is the limited slip rear diff, the other stuff, tinted windows, black out grill, um, yea, whatever.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, sound like your background and location will be a good addition to the group.

I'm just going to do a simple request of paragraphs. For me at least, big walls of text on this site are hard to read, and yes, jeep pic is law.

2018 Jku Willeys

IMG_20210123_150214163_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210123_150227971_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Nice looking JKU and welcome to the forum!

I'm no stranger to motorcycles myself. I've since sold them all, but owned more than I can count on two hands, that's for sure (y)

Reactions: dcooper45
Welcome to the forum with the back ground you have you should have no problem keeping that nice looking JKU willy up and running

Reactions: dcooper45