Newbie intro and (what else?) a question on '08 JK Sport soft top replacement

WashWrangler

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all - after some time just browsing this forum, I've finally signed up. First post, too.

Intro:

I bought this JK not quite 3 years ago. The photo is from just after purchase. No visible mods since then, though I do have a new radiator and a new water pump. I guess that no coolant puddle on the driveway might be considered a "visible mod." Anyway, I'm living the reality of the "Just Empty Every Pocket" mantra.

I'm in the Seattle area, but you can tell from the photo that the PO lived in the southwestern US. (There sure ain't any palm trees in MY backyard!) But there are at least two advantages to posting that particular photo over a more local, more current shot: in THAT photo, the sun is shining, and the Wrangler is clean.

This is my first Jeep, and my DD, though in the last 3 years I've put only about 10k on it. Other than a few cursory trips down fire roads, I haven't off-roaded it. It's a blast to drive despite the fact that most of my miles are freeway miles, and freeway driving doesn't seem to be the "sweet spot" for a 2 door Wrangler. And yes, I do get grief from my friends (who are non-Jeep owners) for not having a winch on it. Maybe one day!

Question:

After 15 years (I'm nearly positive it must be original) mostly in the desert sun, the soft top has degraded and the stitching has torn out on a significant length of one seam. That's a reasonably big deal because folks, the rumors are true... it rains a bit around here. I'm in the market for a replacement. I haven't seen anything appealing on Craigslist, so I'm on the verge of just ordering a replacement (just the top & windows, not the hardware) from Bestop.

Bestop shows two replacement options for the soft components.

Black Diamond Sailcloth for $730

and Black Twill for $1175

The twill is significantly more money, though the photo for the twill version actually shows a fold-back section not shown on the sailcloth version photo, so I'm not sure that it's an apples-to-apples comparison. Probably a question for the Bestop people.

No problem paying more if the twill is that much better than the sailcloth. Any recommendations out there on whether or not that's the case?

Dave

200716.jpeg

Hi all - after some time just browsing this forum, I've finally signed up. First post, too.

Intro:

I bought this JK not quite 3 years ago. The photo is from just after purchase. No visible mods since then, though I do have a new radiator and a new water pump. I guess that no coolant puddle on the driveway might be considered a "visible mod." Anyway, I'm living the reality of the "Just Empty Every Pocket" mantra.

I'm in the Seattle area, but you can tell from the photo that the PO lived in the southwestern US. (There sure ain't any palm trees in MY backyard!) But there are at least two advantages to posting that particular photo over a more local, more current shot: in THAT photo, the sun is shining, and the Wrangler is clean.

This is my first Jeep, and my DD, though in the last 3 years I've put only about 10k on it. Other than a few cursory trips down fire roads, I haven't off-roaded it. It's a blast to drive despite the fact that most of my miles are freeway miles, and freeway driving doesn't seem to be the "sweet spot" for a 2 door Wrangler. And yes, I do get grief from my friends (who are non-Jeep owners) for not having a winch on it. Maybe one day!

Question:

After 15 years (I'm nearly positive it must be original) mostly in the desert sun, the soft top has degraded and the stitching has torn out on a significant length of one seam. That's a reasonably big deal because folks, the rumors are true... it rains a bit around here. I'm in the market for a replacement. I haven't seen anything appealing on Craigslist, so I'm on the verge of just ordering a replacement (just the top & windows, not the hardware) from Bestop.

Bestop shows two replacement options for the soft components.

Black Diamond Sailcloth for $730

and Black Twill for $1175

The twill is significantly more money, though the photo for the twill version actually shows a fold-back section not shown on the sailcloth version photo, so I'm not sure that it's an apples-to-apples comparison. Probably a question for the Bestop people.

No problem paying more if the twill is that much better than the sailcloth. Any recommendations out there on whether or not that's the case?

Dave

View attachment 124054

Welcome to the forum .
I run a hard top but a few guys here run with the soft top so I’m sure they will chime in .
Your on the right track with BestTop twill. Seen many uTube videos promoting them . Supposed to be very durably and more or less water tight .
I was thinking about the BestTop Sunrider to replace the front panels on the hard top. So researched everything Best top :)

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Both of our JKURs are hardtops, but I replaced the hardtop on my YJ with a Bestop. It was excellent.

I just bought a 2009 JK and a previous owner replaced the soft top with a Bestop Trektop Glide Slantback (pretty sure that’s what it is) and I’m loving it. I like the fact that I can just flip back the “sunroof“ and enjoy some airflow and sunshine without having to take the entire top off.

I think this is it: https://www.bestop.com/products/trektop-glide-slantback-soft-top-jeep-2007-2018-wrangler-jk/

Really like the look of the slant backs . If I was to ever go soft top that’s the direction would be looking .

Reactions: BigAL07