New to the JK Community, but not Jeeps

Cobriscus

Supporting Member
Hello everyone! I just picked up a 2017 Rubicon Recon and I am moving over to this forum from the TJ Forum. I have owned a CJ-7, YJ Islander, TJ Unlimited Rubicon (for sale), and now this JK. I am excited to learn more about these rigs and can't wait to get out on the trail and see what the Recon can do.

As this is a forum, I do have a question. The previous owner installed a back up camera (pictured), which was not working. Turns out the wires are cut, which sounds pretty common. I cut the connector out, where camera and harness wires met just inside the rear door, with the hopes of splicing them back together. Unfortunately, the camera has 4 or 5 wires and the harness has two + ground. Does anyone recognize this camera, so I can order a new one and maybe not have to go through the hassle of a complete reinstall. If not, what camera do y'all recommend? Also, if you have any clue how I can splice there back together, love to hear it.

IMG_4018.jpg

image2.jpeg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

Welcome. I also have a 17 Recon. it is amazing what these will do and places it will go. I don't recognize your camera. On/off power for the camera is thru the reverse light. My camera is mounted in the bumper below the spare tire.

Welcome! I don't recognize the camera, but pop the plastic cover off the rear door. I can almost see some wire labels in your one picture.

Reactions: mrjp
Welcome! I don't recognize the camera, but pop the plastic cover off the rear door. I can almost see some wire labels in your one picture.
Thanks! There is nothing camera related on the labels. I believe there is a label for the CB antenna and for the aftermarket brake light. In any case, I have the Alpine system, so I ordered an Alpine camera and adaptor from Crutchfield tonight. I already have a mount, so I saved some $$ by buying just the camera and adaptor (which actually may be in the dash from the previous install). I'm out, at most $200, and maybe just $160 to get it fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepJeezy and mrjp
I also just joined here from the TJ forum, but we still have the '03 too.
I'm planning on a rear camera install soon, and found this thread too coincidental...

I also just joined here from the TJ forum, but we still have the '03 too.
I'm planning on a rear camera install soon, and found this thread too coincidental...
I bought my Jeep from out of state and was pleasantly surprised that it had a back up camera (also off road light under the rockers, which is really cool for evening rides). Unfortunately, it didn't work and the dealer made no effort to find out why...although they knew it was broken. Not a huge deal, as I said, as I have the Alpine option and the camera is pretty plug and play.