New to the forum

Link1989

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to off-roading. My wife and I just purchased our dream Jeep and we think we got a steal. It is a 2015 Unlimited Sport in Sunset Orange Pearlcoat and the previous owner put a lot of work into it. We live in Michigan and bought it from a Ford dealer in Falls Church Virginia. If anyone is familiar with this Jeep or knows who owned it before us please let us know. We are just curious what they did because it has a complete aftermarket suspension and it has definitely been re-geared to make up for the 35" tires. I attached the dealer listing photos and the photos of it delivered to our driveway for reference. This thing is a beast and we love it. I look forward to hearing from you all and taking our new beast on the trails!

IMG_20201117_071254681.jpg

IMG_20201117_071241281.jpg

IMG_20201117_071232015.jpg

IMG_20201117_071219929.jpg

b8c1bf9d727b47c38c676d00cf8ba374.jpg

5c74851fe27c4776bed6bb0d90b3eda2.jpg

4acdd76b7adf491592ff57d3f90debf8.jpg

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Congrats on the purchase, it looks great!

In some of those photos it looks orange, and in the others it looks red...cool color!

Do you have any immediate plans for it?

Reactions: mrjp
Bonjour. God damn Michigan, take your wild turkeys back and give me my moose, Ontario traded for. Does your DMV not trace all previous owners? A lot of Jeeps on planet Earth. Good Luck.
P1010060.JPG

Reactions: Eulalio
Very nice & welcome to the forum!

Unless you really feel the need to remove the differential cover and start counting teeth in Michigan in the winter, here's a relatively simple trick:

While you may think you know your Jeep's gear ratios based off its year and/or differential type, if the vehicle was purchased used then someone may have changed them at some point in the past. So an easy way to determine your actual gear ratio is to check the tag attached to the differential cover by the cover bolts. On the tag there should be some numbering such as 3.54 or 3.73, either of those numbers will give you the stock axle ratio. To verify, or to see if that ratio has changed, you can jack up the rear axle and support it with jack stands. With the transmission in neutral, rotate the rear driveshaft by hand. Count the number of driveshaft revolutions required for one revolution of the tire.

If the driveshaft turns approximately 3-1/2 times, you have a 3.54 ratio, etc. It is helpful to use a grease pencil or chalk to make a reference point on both the tire and driveshaft while performing this test.

Number of TurnsApprox. Gear Ratio
33.05 : 1
3 - 1/23.54 : 1
3 - 3/43.73 : 1
44.10 : 1
4 - 1/24.55 : 1

Congrats on the purchase, it looks great!

In some of those photos it looks orange, and in the others it looks red...cool color!

Do you have any immediate plans for it?
Thanks! I love the color, it does look red sometime depending on the lighting. My immediate plans were to add a few accessories like grab handles. But I also want to mount an air compressor so I have onboard air for when we go off-roading. I also want to mount a jack stand to the rear door as well. Other than that a lot of the stuff I wanted to do to the suspension is already done.

Reactions: Chris
Very nice & welcome to the forum!

Unless you really feel the need to remove the differential cover and start counting teeth in Michigan in the winter, here's a relatively simple trick:

While you may think you know your Jeep's gear ratios based off its year and/or differential type, if the vehicle was purchased used then someone may have changed them at some point in the past. So an easy way to determine your actual gear ratio is to check the tag attached to the differential cover by the cover bolts. On the tag there should be some numbering such as 3.54 or 3.73, either of those numbers will give you the stock axle ratio. To verify, or to see if that ratio has changed, you can jack up the rear axle and support it with jack stands. With the transmission in neutral, rotate the rear driveshaft by hand. Count the number of driveshaft revolutions required for one revolution of the tire.

If the driveshaft turns approximately 3-1/2 times, you have a 3.54 ratio, etc. It is helpful to use a grease pencil or chalk to make a reference point on both the tire and driveshaft while performing this test.

Number of TurnsApprox. Gear Ratio
33.05 : 1
3 - 1/23.54 : 1
3 - 3/43.73 : 1
44.10 : 1
4 - 1/24.55 : 1
Wow thanks! I will have to do that for sure and see what it is.