New JK owner, need advice on rust

BlissfulChef

We just bought my 2018 JKU about 2 weeks ago. It was previously owned for about 15 months in Hawaii, then it spent the rest of its life in Cali, it has only been in NV for a couple months. Knowing it had been near the ocean we were aware that we needed to be cautious of rusting and corrosion. We see the start to some beginnings of rusting at the hinges on all the doors, but I already knew I wanted to replace those when I started modifying so I know we can remedy that pretty easily. I am wondering if anyone knows of some type of preventive wash/spray/etc that we can use on my JK to stop any issues that maybe we can’t see as easily or inhibit any rust from spreading. Just want to take preventive measures to keep her from having issues later.

Good question. Paint prevents rust unless rust is already present, you get a deep enough scratch to remove the clear coat and paint down to the metal or exposed metal. As you know, water and salt are perfect conditions for rust, especially exposed metals, such as the frame. To stop rust from spreading, you have to remove the rust that's there and a little bit beyond the current rust spot. Sanding, very fine grit so you don't have gauges, or a wire brush to remove the surface rust, only on the frame though, I wouldn't attempt this on the painted surfaces. Once the rust is removed, clean the surface and paint it again. Only recommended for the frame and other black, metal exposed areas. Not the doors, hood or body. Leave that to the pros. If you see a scratch on the body, get some of that touch up paint once you clean the area and dry it. That will prevent rust also. Can you provide pics of what you see that is a cause for concern?

Eastwood has a lot of good products including a product you can apply inside your frame rails. Their website is pretty good describing each product and the best use for it.

Reactions: Barry
Here are a few pictures I was able to snap this evening in some commercial lights. Every hinges on my JK looks like the one I posted.

96134E8B-4A84-41C0-A826-FA9ACE6629D4.jpeg

E22175A2-9244-4818-9E17-AC8C344E72AC.jpeg

E92BF3FE-EBDE-4A21-8F8C-36CBC25671E4.jpeg

45594E9F-D01E-41DC-B8D2-5A2AB4508374.jpeg

7196BB6F-943C-4C3E-AC8B-DDC7AF5E2E4F.jpeg

Fluid Film. I spray it on and in my frame rails. As well as apply it to surfaces, like rocker panels, using a rag. I’ve also applied WD40 on joints and inside crevasses all over my Jeeps. That rust in the hinges is due to lack of lubrication.

Another fantastic product (which is really an acid) is Rust-Oleum ‘rust dissolver’. I’ve applied that to frame areas, cleaned it, then preserved the area with primer and paint, and interior locations that I could not paint, with Fluid Film.

North East tried and true....these methods work.