Need some education about radio replacement in 2010 Wrangler Sahara

N9zye

My Jeep Wrangler 2 door Sahara has the original stock radio. I am looking to replace that radio with something capable of Bluetooth and Android Auto with ability to use Google maps for navigation. Touch screen would be nice.
  1. If I buy a radio from a local shop, are there specific questions I should ask to be sure they are installing the proper unit for my Jeep? I don’t want to lose the use of the current nine speaker setup.
  2. If I order a unit from Crutchfield or such, other than the unit, mounting hardware and wiring harness, would I need any other equipment such as a power amp?
This is information I copied from my Jeep build sheet:
Radio 230
SiriusXM Radio Service
Alpine 9-Spkr w/All Weather Subwoofer
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
Thanks

I also have a 2010 that am interested in changing the headunit. Some info on what you guys have already tried would be great.

I have decided not to change my head unit at this time. After reviewing installation info from Crutchfield, it appears many new head unit wiring adapters eliminate the capability to fade sound from front to back speakers. Not a deal breaker, none of the units in my budget are what I want now.

I am installing the Vector Offroad docking bar to mount my phone, InReach gps and 8" tablet for navigation. We will see how this works for me.

I just installed an Alpine ILX-W650 in mine yesterday. I got everything from crutchfield and it was a super simple install. I added a parking brake bypass and a cheap rear view camera to hook up also. All was less than $400.

8CE9D8B6-B1CB-404C-8DD3-2F71C0F587F5.jpeg

Reactions: Chris and N9zye
If I order a unit from Crutchfield or such, other than the unit, mounting hardware and wiring harness, would I need any other equipment such as a power amp?

If you want to retain the steering wheel controls, you'll need the adapters and modules that Crutchfield recommends. They do a good job of telling you what you need in order to retain what features.

Reactions: mrjp and N9zye
For us with the 3.8 premium sound option, you need a can-bus that allows for fade and subwoofer. The works a bit differently than aftermarket ones and radios need help in talking to it.
I pulled the can-bus and radio out of my wrecked 2014 sport and put it into my 2009 Rubicon. For the sport it allowed the use of steering controls, and for my Rubicon is allowed the radio to actually work.

I don't remember if none of the speakers worked or if it was just the sub or sub and rears that didn't when I put the radio in without the canbus. While is allows the radio to talk to the amp and I get great sound, fade is lost. This just means I have the wrong one. If I bother upgrading my radio in the future I'll get a new can-bus, but it's not worth the $100 or so for me right now.

Crutchfield should send you the right direction, they tend to do a good job, even if you buy the stuff someplace else.

My Jeep Wrangler 2 door Sahara has the original stock radio. I am looking to replace that radio with something capable of Bluetooth and Android Auto with ability to use Google maps for navigation. Touch screen would be nice.
  1. If I buy a radio from a local shop, are there specific questions I should ask to be sure they are installing the proper unit for my Jeep? I don’t want to lose the use of the current nine speaker setup.
  2. If I order a unit from Crutchfield or such, other than the unit, mounting hardware and wiring harness, would I need any other equipment such as a power amp?
This is information I copied from my Jeep build sheet:
Radio 230
SiriusXM Radio Service
Alpine 9-Spkr w/All Weather Subwoofer
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
Thanks
All I know is if you order a unit from Best Buy, you’ll get it installed for free. They did mine and did a great job. Also installed the center spare tire backup camera for free.