Need recommendations for new driveshafts for my 2015 JK

A2112Priest

Supporting Member
Quick questions for you xperts! 2015 2 door JK. Driveshafts took a crap. Need new ones. Any recommendations? Any feedback on Adams Driveshafts? Question i have is; are the yokes that come with the shaft/s dependent on pinion? I don't believe the threads are any different but I just had the stock gears swapped (3.21 to 4.88) and it doesn't seem that it matters but wanna 2nd opinion. Its a 6 speed w/ 35 and ~3' lift.

Questions:
1. You used the plural "driveshafts." Did both go?
2. Have you determined the why's and how's you lost both? Makes little sense to replace them unless you resolve the issue that caused their failure to begin with.
3. Assuming these are the original stock driveshafts, you put a 3" lift, changed the torque ratio with new gears and didn't upgrade the shafts? Maybe I'm answering my own question #2 above, but...

Upgrading your driveshaft is highly recommended when:
  1. installing any lift in excess of 2" or any suspension lift in excess of 2.5"
  2. any horsepower or torque upgrade/increase
  3. bigger tires in combination with a horsepower gain, drive train upgrade or transmission upgrade.
  4. any change that results in a shaft angle of 15 degrees or more.

@Anybodyhome , They are original shafts. Only the rear blew a universal. Unsure but experience tells me, they don't last forever! LOL. When I dropped off for gear change, 3 weeks ago, I asked them to look into a vibration from floor board and steering wheel....generally that's a drive line issue/drive shaft issue. Their response was they CND..could not duplicate. Upon return to shop for backlash adjustment and drove it home...rear shaft universal popped. Towed back to shop and response was recommend both shafts be replaced. I understand larger tires and ratio change puts alot on the shafts. I'm curious of reputation of Adams driveshaft and any special parts / pieces I may need to install new shafts....at this point, i'm not convinced if they install it...it'll be done right... I'm not sure, if any, cost they will cover since the vibe was routine and easily noticed and diagnosed... I explained that I would cover the cost of parts (since I would've if they found this problem in the first place) but I'm not willing to pay labor....

I have had Adams do work on a TJ I had and drive shafts lengthened and shortened on my FJ40 and they do great work the people are great and real nice there shop is about 20 miles from me but I would recommend them

I asked them to look into a vibration from floor board and steering wheel....generally that's a drive line issue/drive shaft issue. Their response was they CND..could not duplicate. Upon return to shop for backlash adjustment and drove it home...rear shaft universal popped.
The universal was probably going bad and the re-gearing simply threw a little more torque into the equation, particularly in 1st or 2nd gear, and that resulted in the shaft failure.

I'm curious of reputation of Adams driveshaft and any special parts / pieces I may need to install new shafts
I've not had the occasion to replace my drivehsafts just yet, but I've read a lot of positives about Adams and one of the local truck shops around me says good things as well. I'd highly recommend you find an authorized installer or dealer to do the work.

I have 3 Adam’s installed on various jeeps, highly recommend. There’s a 20% coupon out there if you know where to look. Usually the CV joint goes on the OEM shafts, but I agree that the backlash adjustment is probably why you busted it just now. That CV joint isn’t great, and it’s only a matter of time before it goes anyway, especially if you’re lifted a decent amount. If you have occasion to do any driveshaft work on a JK, replace with an Adam’s or Tom Woods.

Reactions: JerryD and mrjp