Need help with this coolant leak issue

Kmahnke

I believe this is a heater core issue, but how can i tell if i need to replace the hoses or the whole heater core without paying 1000+ to a mechanic

The coolant is spraying out from here onto the passenger side floor board

IMG_7669.png

So I would need to replace the whole core and not just replace hoses?

If you have a lot of miles on the Jeep and they feel hard it would be a good idea to replace them.

Do you know how to burp the air out of the cooling system when your done?

If the hoses were leaking, it would almost certainly be in the engine compartment, not passenger. When you replace the core, it makes absolutely no sense to not go ahead and replace the cheap rubber hoses.

Reactions: Danarch
If you have a lot of miles on the Jeep and they feel hard it would be a good idea to replace them.

Do you know how to burp the air out of the cooling system when your done?
It’s got about 86000 miles on it,

I do not, I think it was mentioned to me in passing once, but I’m sure there’s a video out there for me to find

It’s got about 86000 miles on it,

I do not, I think it was mentioned to me in passing once, but I’m sure there’s a video out there for me to find
Raise the nose of the Jeep. Even just pulling up onto one of those wheel stops in a parking lot or a curb will work. Take the cap off the radiator. Start the engine. Turn the heater on at it's highest setting so the coolant is going through the heater core. Let the engine get up to temperature (you can tell this has happened because the fan will kick in). Top off the radiator as needed. Repeat till it stops needing topped off.

Raise the nose of the Jeep. Even just pulling up onto one of those wheel stops in a parking lot or a curb will work. Take the cap off the radiator. Start the engine. Turn the heater on at it's highest setting so the coolant is going through the heater core. Let the engine get up to temperature (you can tell this has happened because the fan will kick in). Top off the radiator as needed. Repeat till it stops needing topped off.
Perfect, thank you very much. I appreciate the help

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I believe this is a heater core issue, but how can i tell if i need to replace the hoses or the whole heater core without paying 1000+ to a mechanic

The coolant is spraying out from here onto the passenger side floor board

View attachment 127077
Since it's such an expensive repair and the weather is warmer you can disconnect the 2 hoses at the fire wall or cut them because they are a pain too remove and just connect the 2 hoses together with an adapter and wait till you have more funds or till the fall

Reactions: BigAL07
Since it's such an expensive repair and the weather is warmer you can disconnect the 2 hoses at the fire wall or cut them because they are a pain too remove and just connect the 2 hoses together with an adapter and wait till you have more funds or till the fall
Expensive? You can get a heater core from Amazon starting at like $30.

Reactions: vaffanculo
Not everyone has the tools or skill level for the work involved. It’s why I farmed out my trans fluid change. No experience there.
I operate on the assumption that if people are coming here to ask how to do something, it's because they want to do that thing.
And changing a heater core doesn't require anything other than simple basic hand tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1o1Proof