Need help with spare tire lug nut key

pbrad74

Hello, new here and a new (used) Jeep owner. So, I bought my wife a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. One thing that didn't dawn on me to check with the dealership is if there were keys with the lug nuts. I assumed that the key in the center console was all I needed. However, the lug nuts on the spare tire use a completely different lug nut key. Can anyone identify what this is and where to buy one so I can take the spare off when needed? I tried all my standard and metric sockets and nothing comes close to fitting. They're either too big or too small. Thanks!
IMG_2428.jpg

I’d say take to America’s Tire, they will probably have a key for it. If not can try and hammer on a socket and then use ratchet to remove it.

They do make a tool set to remove locking lug nuts which is an option.

Hey thanks for the reply. I just got back from Mr. Tire and they checked it for me. Turns out its a 6 Spline Key and White Knight has it #3800L6. So I just bought one from Amazon. Why the previous owner had 3 different lug nut types makes no sense. They also cut the auto dimming rear view wiring harness, instead of just unplugging it. Didn't find out until I started installing switches for a light bar.

Can't ID it, but I am going to offer a short rant, in keeping with my position as Official Opinionated Curmudgeonly Old Fart...

Once the tire shop gets them off, toss them in the trash. They're don't do anything other than give you grief.

Here's the thing. YOU need to be able to get them off when a flat leaves you stranded along the highway. Which means you have to have the key available. They're too big to stick in your pocket every day, so just like every other driver you're going to toss it in the glove box or center console. And while I tend to think most criminals are a bit dim (else they'd find a career with a better risk:benefit ratio) they are smart enough to know where to look.

And even without the key, they're trivially simple to defeat. As mentioned, all you need is a hammer and a cheap socket. Since they're not 10mm, the socket won't vanish between uses.

The six spline lug nuts are extremely common. Heck, I have 3-4 keys in my toolbox/Jeep/wife's car. You can buy them off Amazon, eBay and any auto parts store. It's easier to take them off vs the factory standard fake ones that lose the stamped metal covering and then you get to take a standard nut off. I gave up on McGards and other "quality" theft proof lugnuts. They fail at the most inopportune time - when you need to get them off.

I have a locking nut on the spare, but not on any of the other wheels.
Yes, the keyed socket is in the vehicle, along with a 1/2" ratchet and the socket for the others.

If I was having trouble removing one, I would hammer an old socket on it and then get a buddy to hit it with the welder.