Need advice on O2 sensor removal

Sonora70

Had my 09 JK a couple months and finally decided to try to get of the engine light. Codes indicate that I need to replace the 02 sensors. Took it to a shop today, they can’t get them out. They applied heat and still couldn’t get them. They also said there’s not enough room to cut and weld in new bungs. What are my options??? Thanks for any advice. I have to believe there’s a way with the number of these on the road.

If it's heated and then put a candle where the o2 screws in sometimes it will help it come out.

Had my 09 JK a couple months and finally decided to try to get of the engine light. Codes indicate that I need to replace the 02 sensors. Took it to a shop today, they can’t get them out. They applied heat and still couldn’t get them. They also said there’s not enough room to cut and weld in new bungs. What are my options??? Thanks for any advice. I have to believe there’s a way with the number of these on the road.

Which O2 sensors need replacement and what is the code you are getting?

It's very uncommon to have more than one O2 sensor go bad.

I'm assuming it's the upstream O2's that you're having problems removing, since the downstream one's are fairly accessible.

To get better access to the upstream ones, did they remove the inner fender liners? If you do that, they'll be staring you in the face.

Reactions: mrjp
Which O2 sensors need replacement and what is the code you are getting?

It's very uncommon to have more than one O2 sensor go bad.

I'm assuming it's the upstream O2's that you're having problems removing, since the downstream one's are fairly accessible.

To get better access to the upstream ones, did they remove the inner fender liners? If you do that, they'll be staring you in the face.
The codes I’m getting are 2096, 0137, 0133, and 0430. Not sure they took the liners out.

Just thinking, it wasn’t giving the 0430 code until after they tried to put the new sensors in.

Could be a number of things going on there, but it looks like both your bank 1's are throwing codes.

The 0430 code is a cat code, so you probably have more than just a couple bad sensors there.

Did they put in OEM O2 sensors? That's a really important thing to do.

If it's throwing lean codes on both sensors on one side you could have an exhaust leak....like a cracked manifold on that side of the engine...or even a bad cat.

If I were a betting man I'd put my money on a cracked exhaust manifold instead of both O2's being bad.

If it were my Jeep, I'd remove the fender liner for a couple reasons: 1. It will give the shop clear access to the O2 if you want to go that route 2. It would let me remove the heat shield on the exhaust manifold and check for cracks

Last edited:
Could be a number of things going on there, but it looks like both your bank 1's are throwing codes.

The 0430 code is a cat code, so you probably have more than just a couple bad sensors there.

Did they put in OEM O2 sensors? That's a really important thing to do.

If it's throwing lean codes on both sensors on one side you could have an exhaust leak....like a cracked manifold on that side of the engine...or even a bad cat.

If I were a betting man I'd put my money on a cracked exhaust manifold instead of both O2's being bad.

If it were my Jeep, I'd remove the fender liner for a couple reasons: 1. It will give the shop clear access to the O2 if you want to go that route 2. It would let me remove the heat shield on the exhaust manifold and check for cracks
Thanks. Will do.

Reactions: Vman
Thanks. Will do.

Forgot to mention you will also be able to get in there with some PB blaster and just soak it every day for a few days.

Now most shops will tell you that the panther pee doesn't work, but they also don't have the luxury of letting it sit on it for hours which is the thing you need to do.

Soak it down for a few days with PB every day for a few days after driving it and warming it up and it will work it's way into the threads.

I've done it that way more than once but you have to have patience and time to let it work, which most shops are not going to have.

Reactions: mrjp and 72c10
Forgot to mention you will also be able to get in there with some PB blaster and just soak it every day for a few days.

Now most shops will tell you that the panther pee doesn't work, but they also don't have the luxury of letting it sit on it for hours which is the thing you need to do.

Soak it down for a few days with PB every day for a few days after driving it and warming it up and it will work it's way into the threads.

I've done it that way more than once but you have to have patience and time to let it work, which most shops are not going to have.
Started with the pb blaster today. Taking it back to the shop Monday

Reactions: mrjp and Vman
The ones in the 3.8 aren't that hard to get at, though I've haven't done the passenger side upstream. The engine is a ton easier to work on than the 3.6.

you could also try the classic 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Google it, hell of a trick for getting bolts out.

Reactions: Vman