Need advice on gearing for LS swap

Willys14jk

So I’m getting ready to install an L33 (aluminum 3rd gen 5.3 LS) into my jeep. I’m running 38” tires and aluminum beadlocks. I currently have 4.56 gears and Its underpowered currently but I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on what a decent ratio would be. The engines output at the crank is 310 hp and 335 ft lbs. I’m fine with regearing but if I dont have to I dont want to. What is everyones opinion?

I would wait until you have the new Engine in and see how it performs, but I really don't think you'll need to change them.
I agree and since I can regear myself its small potatoes. I’m just wondering if someone else has done a 5.3 swap that might have more info or know someone who has. I’m just looking to price out the rest after I slam the new motor and trans in. Not regearing would be nice though for sure.

I agree and since I can regear myself its small potatoes. I’m just wondering if someone else has done a 5.3 swap that might have more info or know someone who has. I’m just looking to price out the rest after I slam the new motor and trans in.

No one on here has since i've been a Member, but if your doing the swap why not do a build on it so others will know what is needed and how to do it.

So I’m getting ready to install an L33 (aluminum 3rd gen 5.3 LS) into my jeep. I’m running 38” tires and aluminum beadlocks. I currently have 4.56 gears and Its underpowered currently but I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on what a decent ratio would be. The engines output at the crank is 310 hp and 335 ft lbs. I’m fine with regearing but if I dont have to I dont want to. What is everyones opinion?
No one on here has since i've been a Member, but if your doing the swap why not do a build on it so others will know what is needed and how to do it.
I plan to once I start the build. It will definitely take a good bit of fab work but I’m decent with a welder and clearance shouldnt be too big of an issue.

Reactions: BigAL07
I plan to once I start the build. It will definitely take a good bit of fab work but I’m decent with a welder and clearance shouldnt be too big of an issue.

I'm familiar with Conversions i've done 2 Cummins 12v Conversions, one in a 96 F350 and other in a 84 K5 blazer. Lots of work and some trial and error.

I'm familiar with Conversions i've done 2 Cummins 12v Conversions, one in a 96 F350 and other in a 84 K5 blazer. Lots of work and some trial and error.
Yeah for sure. I have the wiring harness and ecm figured out. I know where I can source the adapters to mate a driver drop nv4500 and an idea of what I’ll need to cut to make the shift placement. Obviously I’ll need custom driveshafts as well and probably easiest to run digital gauges but the mounts and gow to make the bcm not freak out will be tough.

Yeah for sure. I have the wiring harness and ecm figured out. I know where I can source the adapters to mate a driver drop nv4500 and an idea of what I’ll need to cut to make the shift placement. Obviously I’ll need custom driveshafts as well and probably easiest to run digital gauges but the mounts and gow to make the bcm not freak out will be tough.
The Blazer I did all aftermarket gauges and a GPS speedometer, then for the 47re trans I used a Standalone Controller. I have a GM4.3 with 4l60 waiting to go in my JK if it should die, but with only 77,000 miles it will probably outlive me no more miles I put on it.