My RANT for the day šŸ˜©

Acxman

JK Enthusiast
So, I bought my 2008 jk which was built from the factory as a soft top. The PO installed a hardtop from another 2008 jk. But they never had the hardtop wiring kit installed for the rear washer/wipers/defrosters. After researching how to install the wiring kit, itā€™s really a PITA to do so. Literally have to tear half the Jeep apart!

So, to my rant ! Knowing the Jeep wranglers are different from other vehicles in the respect to the fact that they are like erector sets that everyone who owns one are always adding and replacing various components. One of the most interchanged parts is the soft and hard tops. Why in the h-ll does the factory not install the wiring and hose kit in ALL the Jeep wranglers .?? I guess itā€™s so the dealers can rape you if you have to have it installed !

So, I bought my 2008 jk which was built from the factory as a soft top. The PO installed a hardtop from another 2008 jk. But they never had the hardtop wiring kit installed for the rear washer/wipers/defrosters. After researching how to install the wiring kit, itā€™s really a PITA to do so. Literally have to tear half the Jeep apart!

So, to my rant ! Knowing the Jeep wranglers are different from other vehicles in the respect to the fact that they are like erector sets that everyone who owns one are always adding and replacing various components. One of the most interchanged parts is the soft and hard tops. Why in the h-ll does the factory not install the wiring and hose kit in ALL the Jeep wranglers .?? I guess itā€™s so the dealers can rape you if you have to have it installed !

I hear you . The Jeep ainā€™t perfect . I was under the impression wiring was done for all Jeepā€™s . Hard & Soft tops under the carpet above the rear wheel where the top meets the body on drivers side for wiper & defrost .
When I purchased my Jeep thatā€™s where it was but not hooked up for whatever reason . Maybe PO didnā€™t know about wiring . It was all there inc tubing for washer fluid .

Nope. Jeep did not include the wiring harness, washer tubing, or rear washer pump If it was a soft top. One must also install a whole new heater/AC/fan control panel and a new steering column stalk. The kit includes all of this stuff for only around $150.00. Thatā€™s not bad, but installing it is a nightmare. Iā€™ll be doing it this spring, but I donā€™t look forward to it.

If the Jeep came as a soft top there is no rear defrost button on the control panel. And. The light stalk on the column did not have a wiper/washer switch. So those have to be replaced. Jeep would have saved a lot people headaches if they would have at least run the wiring !!

Last edited:
Nope. Jeep did not include the wiring harness, washer tubing, or rear washer pump If it was a soft top. One must also install a whole new heater/AC/fan control panel and a new steering column stalk. The kit includes all of this stuff for only around $150.00. Thatā€™s not bad, but installing it is a nightmare. Iā€™ll be doing it this spring, but I donā€™t look forward to it.

If the Jeep came as a soft top there is no rear defrost button on the control panel. And. The light stalk on the column did not have a wiper/washer switch. So those have to be replaced. Jeep would have saved a lot people headaches if they would have at least run the wiring !!

Yeah thatā€™s a big job installing all that stuff . Hopefully not too much of a pain . But your right. Would seem more logical Just to install it all in every Jeep . As I imagine majority coming out of factory are hard tops to begin with than people add softs or they come with soft as well .
But thinking in areas like Arizona , California , Vegas ,Texas, Florida probably sold a ton of soft tops as itā€™s so warm so that in of itself maybe justified Jeep not including on every unit . Tough to say but for end user def would have been helpful .

The weather here is insane during the winter. And my defroster, wiper has not worked in years. That said, one can live with out these. Why bother with all the trouble? We have a neighbor with a soft top, no flap on his Six, humming around like he is in Bastogne Circa winter 1944, BURRRRRR! All Good

My 07 Rubi has never had anything but a soft top. W.Va. winters are definitely not mild. Heat in this thing run u out! After 10 minutes gotta turn fan down to 1 and put it down on my feet. She is water tight. Replaced plastic header with a steel one and itā€™s extremely quiet. Pop her down in minutes in the summer and let the wind blow šŸŗšŸŗ Never had the need for a hard top. Thatā€™s just my experience šŸ‘šŸ‘

I've installed this kit on 2 JK's. Besides the wiring, stalk, and control head, you need to enable the defroster using an app or have the dealer do it, IIRC.

Honestly, not really worth it but neither is half the crap I see us Jeepers install ;)

I've installed this kit on 2 JK's. Besides the wiring, stalk, and control head, you need to enable the defroster using an app or have the dealer do it, IIRC.

Honestly, not really worth it but neither is half the crap I see us Jeepers install ;)
LOL, Jerry, I totally agree. I have only been a Jeep owner for about 3 months and I have come to realize that with a lot of jeepsters it becomes an obsession!! LOL

Heard that brother! The day I need a back-up camera to back up my Jeep or a fingerprint holster to pack my 9 I will just turn in my license and get horizontal šŸŗšŸŗ hey but if u like it-rock itšŸ‘

Reactions: mrjp and Speartip
Heard that brother! The day I need a back-up camera to back up my Jeep or a fingerprint holster to pack my 9 I will just turn in my license and get horizontal šŸŗšŸŗ hey but if u like it-rock itšŸ‘
Part of it is, i'm a gadget guy. If the factory added it, I feel I should be able to as well. Sometimes the factory DIDN'T add it, but I think it's a good idea. In the case of the radio, the factory never offered an Android head unit so I did and can have excellent mapping apps available (to augment hard copy ones) or I can connect it to my ham radio, or use jScan to troubleshoot issues. I do have a backup camera, because a 35" tire takes up a LOT of real estate and I live in a 'hood that has lots of little ones playing. I got a remote start for Christmas, and after having it a while and using it, I like the idea of a pre-set temp and letting the Jeep do the work. I had an underhood air compressor to make things easier when I got off the trail but that's been removed to make room for my J8 Big Brake Booster. I might put the compressor behind the right rear tail light, but right now it's in an ammo can. I added a switch to interrupt the accelerometer so I could have a "fun" button. I installed gas struts for the hood (I'm not the tallest :) ) and added a fuel door. Each Jeep I've owned I've modded the side marker lights to blink with the turn signals. Jeep didn't do that but I think it's a good safety addition. I've added all these things because I like making the Jeep my own.

That said, I've been seriously considering getting a CJ-7 or even a -5 again and making it like I had 'em in the '80's... straight six, Holley 350 cfm 2bbl, a T-18/D300 twin stick, 32" tires and a plain ol' AM/FM radio.

And to @Acxman, back in the day hardtops didn't have rear wipers/washers/defrosters. Shoot, I was on my 3rd Jeep before I finally got a used hardtop :)

10-4 like I say a manā€™s Jeep is definitely his property and what he likes is what he gets. Nothing wrong with that for sure. Being a heavy haul off-road truck driver for the last 30 years a camera is useless to me. Always used the G-O-A-L get out and look method. My big rig or my personal vehicle doesnā€™t move until I walk around it. Drives my wife crazy lol. Itā€™s a habit I canā€™t break. Wifeā€™s Silverado has back up cam. Makes no difference I still walk it. 2 million miles with no accidents. Somethingā€™s workingšŸŗšŸŗ

Ol friend of mine had a CJ back in 79. 304 V-8 built with headers out the side. šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸŗšŸŗ What a BEAST! Loved it!
My mother-in-law had a CJ-5 with the 304 in it. My wife (now) was a teenager at the time and I've seen pics of it- it was a beast. Sadly, my wife lost both her parents in 2020 and 2021, almost a year to the day apart, and with a couple days of their wedding anniversary. I'll try to find a pic of the CJ and post it for your guys.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Sorry to hear about her loss my friend. Always hard to lose parents. Been there for sure. Makes ya feel kinda lost in the world for a while. Love to see that Jeep pic when u find it

Reactions: mrjp
When I got my 2009 a couple years ago it came with a soft top. I've never checked if it originally came with a hard top, but given the condition of the top it came with it had to be original.

I got the 2009 because my 2014 was a total loss in an accident. I had a soft top on it at the time, so when insurance did their assessment it went away, I got to keep the hard top that was in the back yard. Aside from some minor modification to two keying studs in the top, it fit perfectly and the electrics and fluid line was already run in the jeep.

2009 is an interesting year. There are a few things I've heard about the 07 and 08 years that I'm glad I don't have to deal with. This is one that I didn't realize I needed to be happy about.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
The only thing Iā€™ve really ran into on my 07 is it came stock with a plastic header which warps and is noisy and the factory neglected to put butyl in the top corners of A-pillars. There were service bulletins on each. I installed a metal header and added the butyl which took care of the noise and leaking. She came with factory half doors which I love and is TOTALLY waterproof. šŸŗšŸŗ

Reactions: mrjp