Mud Tire Question

Chief2017

I recently bought a used 2017 Jeep Chief. It is my first experience having a Jeep or any automobile with Mud tires.

A really low speeds, it feels "rough," like you can feel every notch on the tire. It seems to even out at higher speeds. It is also much louder. I am coming from a 2018 JL that was noticeably more quiet.

Is the slow speed roughness normal for a mud tire?

It depends on size, side wall rating. The proper way to determine your correct pressure setting would be to do a chalk test on your tires. Youtube has some good videos

Reactions: Danarch
It depends on size, side wall rating. The proper way to determine your correct pressure setting would be to do a chalk test on your tires. Youtube has some good videos
Watched one last night that was excellent. I had never seen this done before. Thanks for the suggestion.

For some reason, mine are currently set at 42-44 on all for tires and at the time, I just assumed maybe that was what these types of tires needed. My suspicion now is that the previous owner or the dealer had no clue what they were doing? I am going to reduce the pressure and try this test too.

Reactions: mrjp
Watched one last night that was excellent. I had never seen this done before. Thanks for the suggestion.

For some reason, mine are currently set at 42-44 on all for tires and at the time, I just assumed maybe that was what these types of tires needed. My suspicion now is that the previous owner or the dealer had no clue what they were doing? I am going to reduce the pressure and try this test too.
For reference, I run KM3 in a 315/70/R17 (a 35” tire basically) and run at 28-30 psi. 40 is way to high I imagine

I decreased the PSI to 37 all around just to get them down to something that made sense to me. Will do a chalk test this weekend too.

I can tell a difference already. Still feels "knobby" at slow speed (right before I slow to a stop), but maybe that is the style of tire I am not used too or maybe the prior owner used did not treat these tires right? Still experimenting.

What does the side of the tire state for max psi? Can you take a picture of the tire tread for us to see?

MTs need to be rotated every 5k or so. If not, any abnormal wear pattern will be significantly magnified by the stiffness of the sidewall and tread compound. If they weren't rotated and have some miles on them, when you get them rotated you're going to get a workout on the steering wheel if the alignment/balance isn't right.

I decreased the PSI to 37 all around just to get them down to something that made sense to me. Will do a chalk test this weekend too.

I can tell a difference already. Still feels "knobby" at slow speed (right before I slow to a stop), but maybe that is the style of tire I am not used too or maybe the prior owner used did not treat these tires right? Still experimenting.
Drop the pressure to 30 and see how it feels.

Mts are gonna feel a bit rougher on th pavement, small enough price to pay for good off-road performance.

B459C004-058C-4CFE-A0D4-A3778E80CA72.jpeg

19E847DB-B754-4441-9FC5-561181516684.jpeg

Those definitely look like they're cupping. That's where you're getting the "rough" feeling. Maybe take it to get aligned