Mix & Match Seat Swaps, SRS Airbags, So Many Choices!

mphilleo

Glad to be here, folks! I bought a complete set of seats from a 2014 JKU Sahara with the wonderful upgraded seat foam and covers. The seat frames were in so-so shape but the ones in my 2012 JKU Sport are pretty good so I figured I'd swap the foam and covers over, then buy some nice aftermarket seat over-covers and ride in luxury on the cheap.
LOL.gif

Anyway, I absolutely overlooked the fact that my 2012 seats are equipped with the SRS airbag on the seat back. There's a whole host of complications that comes with messing around with that. SRS error lights, disabled safety systems, etc. So, being the resourceful person I am, I decided to try just swapping in the seat bottom foam and cover (probably the most important part) and reuse the original seat back so the safety systems work and don't throw a light. Overall, not bad, it works pretty well, although the firmness of the 2012 seatback is a little um, incongruous, with the comfortable seat bottom.

I'm left with a few choices and wondered what you folks have to say.

1.) Keep it as is. It's the easiest way to go but I might be missing out on some additional comfort.

2.) Ohm out the SRS bag on the original seat back and install a resistor onto the end of the wire harness to fool the system, then swap in the new seat foam/cover without the airbag.

3.) This is the hard one, because I don't know...can I remove the SRS bag from the seat foam on my 2012 seat back and install it with the new seat foam/cover so the system is still happy? The problem with this is the fact I don't know how the airbag is attached to the seat back and if it's possibly to install it with my new seat foam/cover. I'm leaning this direction, though.

I know this is a weird thing I'm doing. Most of you probably just swap in new aftermarket seats or just plug and play replacement seats, but I'm trying to work with what I have. Plus, I'm encouraged by how comfortable the new seat bottom is on my commute. Any help or insights you guys can provide, pictures, diagrams, anything is greatly appreciated!

Maybe JScan would disable that function, hopefully someone that has JScan will join in.

I could be mistaken, but I believe it's against the law to start screwing with the SRS system, including the airbags, on a road-ready vehicle.
It may be completely legit to do so in a modified, special purpose off-road vehicle, but a DD?

Reactions: Speartip
Throw away what you have and get a pair of these. They're really all that you need. They're made for a forklift, so you know they're durable.

1631308527127.png

Seriously though, I would be interested in keeping my airbags. Can you see if you can safely disassemble either of the new seat uppers and see if there is a place to fit the airbag? It might be good to call the dealership parts counter and see if there are different part numbers for the 2014 seat uppers with and without air bags. If it's the same part number then you can know if it's set up to hold/receive an air bag . Then ask if the air bag part numbers are the same between 2012 and 2014. If they're the same then you should be able to put your 2012 airbag into the 2014 seat. I also wonder if the seat fabric is the same for airbag and non airbag seats since the airbag has to open up from inside the seat. I wouldn't want to get a bad airbag deployment because of a thing like that.

I would also try to go the extra mile and try to affix some kind of SRS air bag tag to the seat so that if you sell it the new owner knows there are bags in the seats.

Just be careful when handling the air bags and make sure your battery is disconnected and there's no power to the bags when connecting and disconnecting them.

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
Glad to be here, folks! I bought a complete set of seats from a 2014 JKU Sahara with the wonderful upgraded seat foam and covers. The seat frames were in so-so shape but the ones in my 2012 JKU Sport are pretty good so I figured I'd swap the foam and covers over, then buy some nice aftermarket seat over-covers and ride in luxury on the cheap. View attachment 119740

Anyway, I absolutely overlooked the fact that my 2012 seats are equipped with the SRS airbag on the seat back. There's a whole host of complications that comes with messing around with that. SRS error lights, disabled safety systems, etc. So, being the resourceful person I am, I decided to try just swapping in the seat bottom foam and cover (probably the most important part) and reuse the original seat back so the safety systems work and don't throw a light. Overall, not bad, it works pretty well, although the firmness of the 2012 seatback is a little um, incongruous, with the comfortable seat bottom.

I'm left with a few choices and wondered what you folks have to say.

1.) Keep it as is. It's the easiest way to go but I might be missing out on some additional comfort.

2.) Ohm out the SRS bag on the original seat back and install a resistor onto the end of the wire harness to fool the system, then swap in the new seat foam/cover without the airbag.

3.) This is the hard one, because I don't know...can I remove the SRS bag from the seat foam on my 2012 seat back and install it with the new seat foam/cover so the system is still happy? The problem with this is the fact I don't know how the airbag is attached to the seat back and if it's possibly to install it with my new seat foam/cover. I'm leaning this direction, though.

I know this is a weird thing I'm doing. Most of you probably just swap in new aftermarket seats or just plug and play replacement seats, but I'm trying to work with what I have. Plus, I'm encouraged by how comfortable the new seat bottom is on my commute. Any help or insights you guys can provide, pictures, diagrams, anything is greatly appreciated!
Could you please give me more details on the placement of the end harness resistor re SRS .

In Canada it’s illegal to alter any part of the SRS system .
If your in an accident and someone gets severely injured because of something you did with the air bag system .
It could void your insurance .
Meaning your on hook for however much Joe or Janets rehab would cost .
If there is a death related to messing with the SRS system .
Well good luck with that .
So you may want to double check the laws in your area before proceeding . IMHO

When you say back of seat do you mean the sides of seatback . I was not aware air bags were put in the actual back of seat facing the rear seats .
As children generally occupy the rear seat ?

When you say back of seat do you mean the sides of seatback . I was not aware air bags were put in the actual back of seat facing the rear seats
They are side air bags located on the door side of each front seat and built into the seat back. Matter of fact, most aftermarket seat cushions have a tag identifying which side they should be installed as they have a weak seam that will allow the SRS to deploy even with a seat cover in place.

They are side air bags located on the door side of each front seat and built into the seat back. Matter of fact, most aftermarket seat cushions have a tag identifying which side they should be installed as they have a weak seam that will allow the SRS to deploy even with a seat cover in place.

Yes I know about seat side airbags . They’ve been around awhile . The OP wrote something about the airbag on the seat back . I took that as meaning facing rearward towards the rear seat which I’m pretty sure doesn’t exist
Think it’s just the way was worded didn’t come out correctly . It’s an old thread anyways . Didn’t realize till after I posted .
Our new seat covers have a flap that will allow airbag to deploy without any obstructions

В Канада е незаконно да се променя която и да е част от SRS системата.
Ако претърпите инцидент и някой бъде тежко ранен поради нещо, което сте направили със системата на въздушната възглавница.
Може да анулира застраховката ви.
Което означава, че сте готови за колкото и да струва рехабилитацията на Джо или Джанетс.
Ако има смъртен случай, свързан с гавра в СРС системата.
Ами успех с това.
Така че може да искате да проверите отново законите във вашия район, преди да продължите. IMHO

Когато казвате облегалката на седалката, имате предвид страните на облегалката. Не знаех, че въздушните възглавници са поставени в действителната облегалка на седалката, обърната към задните седалки.
Като по принцип децата заемат задната седалка?
В България няма такива закони като в Канада!

In Bulgaria there are no such laws as in Canada!

And how are we to know your in Bulgaria . Nowhere on your avatar does it state that .
Well maybe there should be so people don’t mess with the SRS putting yourself and others at risk if involved in a serious accident . Something to think about .....

And how are we to know your in Bulgaria . Nowhere on your avatar does it state that .
Well maybe there should be so people don’t mess with the SRS putting yourself and others at risk if involved in a serious accident . Something to think about .....
No problem ! There is a problem with spare parts here, so we have to do this! I wish you all the best!

Reactions: BigAL07