Misfire Misfits

Daddyo2373

JK Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
So this issue is on a 2010 with the 3.8l
Jeep suddenly has CEL and stuttering bad. Limped to closest parts store and scanned with JScan. P0300 & P2305. The P2305 was a misfire on circuit 1 (which I misread at first and thought cylinder 1). Anyhow, pulled plug wire off of #1 and the tip broke and stayed on the plug. BINGO! Easy fix, right? Nope. Put new wire on and same codes. Replaced plug, no go. Tried a new coil pack too, no go. Thought maybe a ground? Limped it home and did find a broken ground wire to engine block so jumpered it but no go.
Finally started researching and found another jeep forum that had a really good step by step for checking. I took more time with JScan and found cylinder 1 & 4 were misfiring. These coil packs have 3 coils in them that fire 2 cylinders at the same time and 1 & 4 is the center coil on the coil pack. Pulled wire connector off and checked ohms to ground, then pulled the Orange connector on the PCM and homed from there to the coil pack. Everything was good in the wiring. This led back to the PCM itself. Opened it up and as soon as I broke the seal I smelled the all familiar burnt electrical smell. One of the 3 IGBT transistors that fires the 3 coils was burnt.
These are obsolete but I found some from China. I ordered but they are having Chinese New Year so no telling when I will get them. In the meantime I am trying to get my hands on another PCM from a 3.8l. I am going to try and replace the one chip before forking out for a new PCM.
I will post an update once I can get my hands on a chip.

Update: The chips came in and I attempted to get one soldered on. I think I may have messed up the circuit board in the process. I went ahead and soldered it. When I checked it with a meter on the diode setting, the new one measure 2.3 v while the other 2 measured 1.5 v, so something is not the same.
I went ahead and tried to start the jeep and it is still misfiring on 1 & 4.
Oh well. Worth a shot.
Looks like now gonna have to reach out to wranglerfix for a new pcm.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Vman
Update: The chips came in and I attempted to get one soldered on. I think I may have messed up the circuit board in the process. I went ahead and soldered it. When I checked it with a meter on the diode setting, the new one measure 2.3 v while the other 2 measured 1.5 v, so something is not the same.
I went ahead and tried to start the jeep and it is still misfiring on 1 & 4.
Oh well. Worth a shot.
Looks like now gonna have to reach out to wranglerfix for a new pcm.

It was worth taking a shot at it. Sometimes all you can do is pull out the credit card.

Reactions: mrjp
I got the new PCM from wranglerfix. Been running great for about 4 months and just had a misfire on cylinder 6. Pulled the plug wire and the end came off and stayed on the plug! Cheap junk. Pulled all the rest and all but 1 did the same. Got some Mopar plug wires, still misfire on 6. Ohmed the coil pack and all 3 main coils did not ohm the same or close enough. Got a Mopar coil pack amd went ahead and replaced all plugs again. Misfire is gone!
Lesson learned....go with OEM!