Metalcloak HD steering

ncfitton

Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I had a local shop install the MC steering in October when they installed the Ultimate D44 front axle and immediately started getting just occasional death wobble around 40mph. I went to 37’s in January and the last few weeks the death wobble is getting worse.

Today I inspected the MC drag link and tie rod ends and I think they are pretty dry. In addition the drag link end feels worn and notched.

how frequently am I supposed to greasing those things? Is it possible the shop didn’t grease them on install?

it is very possible they didn't grease them. Especially if it was just a normal shop and not a jeep focused one, but even if it was a jeep shop, mistakes happen.

Any case of DW, no matter how infrequent needs to be investigated immediately.

Is this the factory drag link with 37s?

A thing to remember is that as you beef up parts of the machine, you can expose the weakness of lesser components, that can no longer do their job with the heavier stuff installed
Also check the tightness of bolts with a torque wrench, especially the track bar. Did you return it to have things retightened after 500 or 1000 miles? New and old components have a bit of a break in period.

MC drag link and checked after 500 miles but frankly I’m worried about quality from this shop. They also overfilled my front diff and I went back twice. I never checked the greased joints.