Member Participation: How to Make the Jeep Wrangler more Comfortable?

M

Mr. Bi-Polar

I was asked this question on reddit 3 or 4 days ago. so I gave it my best shot on how best to create a more comfortable ride for our wrangler. Mind you we're dealing with driving a brick and I really doubt I can come up with a solution. But here's what I think can help make your ride more comfortable.

My first though was to beef up the suspension. While in my days with the SCCA, I learn from many of the drivers about what suspensions they used to beef up their touring cars. I wasn't into off roading, but many of the conversation led to this type of off roading and some of the touring cars were actually used for rally racing. I guess I would have to start with upgrading the bushings and control arms, then move onto the shocks or even a dual shock set up. Like the one seen via rebel offroad.

ROR_RCFDSS-4__86843.1573586466.jpg

These were the only things I could come up with accept installing a new more comfortable seat.

So let's put our minds together and think about what are some of the best ways to create a more comfortable ride for something that wasn't meant to be very comfortable in the first place.

Rubber bushings, c rated tires, larger tires, use chalk to find your ideal tire print and keep them at that psi. An offroading suspension like that would be firmer than is ideal for road comfort.

Reactions: JKTim
C rated tires, proper air adjustments, tuned shocks, and proper up and down travels with bumps properly setup.

Tuned coilovers would be the cream of the crop.

You got your priority wrong. Why buy a jeep when you want comfort?
I am guessing Texas (Eul) at our older age we have a selection of vehicles to master the elements of our movement. My wife would like Horses, but honesty, a Lexus would be very Cherry.

Rubber bushings, c rated tires, larger tires, use chalk to find your ideal tire print and keep them at that psi. An offroading suspension like that would be firmer than is ideal for road comfort.

X2 to this.

C rated tires at or around 26 psi (you can always do a chalk test to find the ideal psi, but for me it's around 26), a good, soft shock (i.e. a Rancho RS5000X), and rubber bushings as oppose to poly.

That's going to give you the best on-road ride you can get.

The next best thing you could do is invest in a tunable shock such as a Fox Factory Series smooth body. With the LSC option and a good tune, you can get those things to ride phenomenally well.

Reactions: mrjp
C rated tires
I'm finding it very difficult to source or even compare 35x12.5R18 with a C rating. You happen to know the difference between a letter "load rating" versus a numeric "load index?"
I have looked at several tires that show me, for example, a 118 or 123 load index but I don't know how or if that equates to a C or D load rating?

I will look at my tires this afternoon and see what I can come up with.
I'm finding it very difficult to source or even compare 35x12.5R18 with a C rating. You happen to know the difference between a letter "load rating" versus a numeric "load index?"
I have looked at several tires that show me, for example, a 118 or 123 load index but I don't know how or if that equates to a C or D load rating?

I have P285/70R17 116T. These are rated at 2750 lbs at 44 psi. Basically a C rated tire. I come up with this comparison by the tire max air pressure. Max pressure of a C rated tire is 50 psi.
F212B66C-8BFD-493F-8ED5-E3D56A5589DE.png

83BB87DF-C4E3-4652-97B3-0A024CB0F100.png
You will have to try to stay with a P metric or a 6 ply LT tire to stay in the C load range. Read tire sidewalls and talk to a trusted tire guy/gal. Most LT tires are designed for full size pick up trucks. The kind we used to see on Sunday afternoon coming home from the cabin loaded with firewood.

Last edited:
One more piece of info. For an aggressive tread for a Jeep you will be looking at an ET(extra load) tire in P metric. 41 to 44 psi max rated. Of course you can air them down to 28psi for a good tread contact pattern and better ride.

Reactions: gatorman98

Oh yeah, in an 18" tire you'll never find a C rated. With 17" you would.

The higher the load index is, the stiffer it will ride, so while I don't believe is a 118 is a C, it's going to ride better than the 123 for sure. Well, at least on a lighter vehicle like our Jeeps.

What tire are you looking at? I may be able to help you figure out what you’re looking at.

305/70R18 is pretty close to a 35X12.50R18. With that sizing you may find a C or D tire. Tho you may have to settle for a D rated.

Suspension with solid axels are designed to be for tough & rough ride and there is no magic shocks or soft tires to help it ride like a suburban.

Last edited: