Manual transmission shifter moves around in low gears

Hi,

Glad to be part of the forum!

I'm the proud new owner of a 2017 JK Unlimited Rubicon with a 6 speed manual trans.
I'm noticing some low frequency vibration that will jiggle the shift lever around in low gears.
This lessens as the vehicle travels a few miles and warms up.
Could this be a bad u-joint? Or, is this just "Jeep stuff". I ride Harley Davidsons too and, some noises and vibrations just "come with the territory" with those bikes.

Any insight would be helpful. I'm still under dealer warrantee with an option to extend what's left of the manufacturer warrantee.

I would recommend getting a drop light& torque wrench in order to get to know your new ride. Its probably nothing or you'd hear a knock going over speed bumps if it was a tranny/motor mount. Now if its jumps out of gear that's another issue. If you hear gear rattle you can run a thicker trans fluid. Just remember that certain oils will eat your synchros. I have only run the Redlne MT

Reactions: mrjp
I would recommend getting a drop light& torque wrench in order to get to know your new ride. Its probably nothing or you'd hear a knock going over speed bumps if it was a tranny/motor mount. Now if its jumps out of gear that's another issue. If you hear gear rattle you can run a thicker trans fluid. Just remember that certain oils will eat your synchros. I have only run the Redlne MT
Thanks. I'm planning to get under there today to inspect and try to move the driveshaft ends around a little to see if there's any play. Being new to the whole Jeep thing, I'm sure there's a learning curve. Thanks for the trans lube recommendation. I always run pretty heavy synthetic gear lube in the HD bikes. 80-140 gets rid of all the "clunks" and makes 'em shift like buttah.

Just not too thick or winter driving might have a few too many missed shifts. I'm in the Mediteranean so we need elevation before we get cold weather.

I feel like this is normal to some degree, at least it was on my Wrangler with a manual transmission. I'd say it could be a bad transmission / engine mount, but usually that would have more symptoms than just this.

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
My '07 6 speed used to bounce all around like that. Then I installed a B&M Shifter, part# 46200 . Seriously, get one of these. I'm a little pissed that I had my jeep for about 7 or 8 years before I installed one of these. It shortens the shifter a little, puts a nice bend in it and, most importantly, eliminates a stupid little rubber bushing that is between the shifter that you see and the stub coming out of the top cover of your tranny that it attaches to. Should be OEM.

1621625747155.png

It must angle is back a bit as well? Neat. Not in the budget right now, but I'll add it to the list.