M101 Trailer

JKTimmah

Supporting Member
I'm considering buying an M101 military trailer for tow behind my 2-door '15. The trailer is around 1300# and my capacity is supposedly 2000#. I'm thinking of cargo and a RTT, but I'm worried it's just too heavy. Having never done RTT camping before, I'm not really sure what I need, so weight is really an unknown for me.
Opinions?

Thanks,
T

Those Military trailers are going to be way overkill for a JK. They build them twice as strong and heavy due to Military specs.

You'll be at your max with it empty. Maybe if you was to remove some of the bottom leaf springs from the packs and put a trailer type axle and tires on it you would get rid of quite a bit of the weight.

Reactions: mrjp
Is your JK stock? I've seen a lot of modified JK tow overland trailers and they are greater than the M101 in weight... I understand that there is more to towing than just the weight...personal capabilities play a significant role... I have been considering the same task as you @JKTimmah ... let us know what you decide and if you do it, let us know how it tows! Nothing like being a guinea pig huh! LOL

Is your JK stock? I've seen a lot of modified JK tow overland trailers and they are greater than the M101 in weight... I understand that there is more to towing than just the weight...personal capabilities play a significant role... I have been considering the same task as you @JKTimmah ... let us know what you decide and if you do it, let us know how it tows! Nothing like being a guinea pig huh! LOL

Mostly stock. 2.5" lift and aftermarket bumpers. It's still geared at 3.21 though! 😲

I really can't decide. It's rust-free, hydraulic brakes, LED lights, and in great shape. From what I've seen, I can get it for a decent price. My diffs are killing me though, lol.

T

Personally, I wouldn't tow one of those with my 2dr or even a 4dr unless I had beefier axles and brakes. A better option would be a M416 or the Canadian M101. The m416 weighs something like 500lbs empty.

Check out Dinoot trailers. That beast you're looking at is better suited to a full size truck. My 2 cents.

Yep those are nice trailers. Well built and will last forever. I would not want to pull one with a wrangler. Hell, they are heavy enough that just moving them around my yard would be a huge pain in the butt.

The strength of the trailer is going to be lost to you because you will be very limited on what you can put in there.

I have a basic homemade trailer with a plywood bottom and 1" thick pine sides. I can move it around my yard by hand ok, but it is probably 1/4 the weight of a M101. My JKU rubicon pulls it fine even when loaded.

And while my 99 TJ with 3.73 gearing can pull it empty, I picked up 4 sheets of drywall a year or so ago and I could not get above 50 miles per hour.

Unless you have a full size truck to pull this with, I would pass.

Man that just seems crazy... I used my 5X8 trailer with 6 sheets of plywood and no issues pulling it...with 3:21 gears. I wonder what the difference is... of course, FL is WWWWWAAAYYYYY flatter than WI!

Man that just seems crazy... I used my 5X8 trailer with 6 sheets of plywood and no issues pulling it...with 3:21 gears. I wonder what the difference is... of course, FL is WWWWWAAAYYYYY flatter than WI!

If you was to ever see one of those military trailers they are well built and also have some pretty tall heavy duty tires.

Yeah, I passed on it. I actually ordered the steel to weld up my own 'M416' from Compact Camping (Dinoot) plans. I need to try out a new welder anyway, lol. Thanks for the input!

T

Last edited:
If you was to ever see one of those military trailers they are well built and also have some pretty tall heavy duty tires.
I was actually thinking of getting one...rethinking that now though after this discussion. I don't believe pulling it is a problem....when it's empty but to make it an overland trailer and NOT exceed tongue weight....different story.