Loud Thrashing Engine Noise after Car wash

Mark B

I have a 2012 JK 4 door unlimited. After my recent round of off-road builds, I went 4 wheeling in the Colorado San Juan mountains this week. When I got home, I manual spray washed my Jeep and returned home and parked in the driveway. After about an hour, I went out to start my Jeep and this loud, continuous thrashing/grinding noise occurred in the engine area when I started it. I drove it up and down my driveway, turning A/C on and off and putting into 4WD and out, clutching and changing gears but noise continued. Later that night in my garage, same loud noise happened upon starting. The next day, I started in the afternoon and the loud noise occurred for about 1 sec and then went away. I have driven it around my block and tried to replicate the noise but cannot make it come back. No indicator lights showing anything and Jeep runs fine. I was worried it was something potentially major but now, I have no idea. Has anyone seen or heard of something like this before?
Mark B

Were you driving in mud? Could it be possible that mud got up in the clutch? It dried overnight and came out the next day on start up.

Reactions: mrjp
Yes, I had several mud spots and rain on wet trails, but not submerged in mud. I did drive over 500 miles back home after wheeling with no issue. There also was no noise after car washing and driving home. The noise did not change at all when clutching also. The serpentine belt and all pulleys looked clean but maybe mud was up in a pulley bearing somewhere?