Loud Hum at All Times

WanderingJeep

Hey all, first post here. This is a weird one. 2012 Unlimited JK was sitting in parking for 3 days. I returned from a trip and tossed luggage in the back before starting the vehicle or inserting the key. The suitcase bumped the sub and I instantly started hearing a loud hum like a vibrating drum. I thought it was audio related and figured it would go away when I started up or messed with the radio. Nope. Drove it home about 30 minutes and it was still going after I shut off the motor. No noticeable performance change while driving. When I went to retrieve the luggage, I put my hand on the floor and I could feel a strong vibration (motor is off, key is out). I put my hand near the sub - no vibration. The only thing I could think of was the fuel pump, so I pulled the M25 circuit breaker to see if it would stop. Nothing happened immediately, so I put the circuit breaker back in. A few seconds later it stopped. Any ideas?
If it was the fuel pump, it was producing an extreme vibration like what one would feel standing on a steel plate above the engine room of a ship. Not normal. How would it have started when I threw bags in before turning the vehicle on, and why wouldn’t it have stopped when I shut down, and especially when I pulled the breaker? Pretty bizarre.

The M25 is a fuse for the pump relay, ( on mine). I need more info. Did the pump stop when you pulled it? That F-ing TIPM (HAL 9000) and a arc in the relay could keep the pump spinning? Next time it happens deactivate the neg battery terminal (fast). To see what happens. I have a big amp kill switch on my JK, like they had in the boot of old Rolls-Royce. I had to work on them during the sad recession of the 90s. And a AS DB5 once. No guns, and ejector seat. LOL

OIP.jpg

Reactions: Chris
FYI. There is a breaker, not a fuse, but a fuse, in the engine bay. You pop it up, and it deactivates the air bags for off the road. It is not in my Manual, and I had to tell the local salesmen and season techs at Chrysler about it yrs ago.

Reactions: Chris