Looking for some guidance with roof racks

MattyMattD

Hello all,
New jeep JK owner looking for some guidance with roof racks. I have a 2 Door JK with freedom panels on the hardtop. I was curious if anyone knew of some crossbars that could be mounted on the hardtop that didn't require mounting to the rain channel on the freedom panels? Would be willing to drill into the hardtop if necessary. I have seen the Rhino Rack crossbars, but was looking to see if there was a cheaper kit? Thoughts would be much appreciated thanks!

This is the Smittybilt Defender rack I installed a couple years ago.
It consists of gutter mounts above the rear doors and the rear mounts are integrated into the rear window hinges. The rack runs about $400 and the Jeep mounting kit is another $100.
You can remove both panels and, because of the rear hinge mounts, you can remove the rear hardtop without having to remove the rack.
I'm 6'6" and about 285 and when I load the rack for a trip, I can reach up and pull myself up on the bumper and I stand on the rear tire when I'm working from the side.
This is stronger and tougher than anything I would have imagined and I highly recommend it. It comes with light mounting tabs and there are other brackets you can get for your hi-lift jack, etc..

20200810_103449.jpg 20200810_103500.jpg 20200810_103508.jpg 20200810_103517.jpg 20200810_103536.jpg

All that being said, I have no idea if this would work on a 2 door.

This is the Smittybilt Defender rack I installed a couple years ago.
It consists of gutter mounts above the rear doors and the rear mounts are integrated into the rear window hinges. The rack runs about $400 and the Jeep mounting kit is another $100.
You can remove both panels and, because of the rear hinge mounts, you can remove the rear hardtop without having to remove the rack.
I'm 6'6" and about 285 and when I load the rack for a trip, I can reach up and pull myself up on the bumper and I stand on the rear tire when I'm working from the side.
This is stronger and tougher than anything I would have imagined and I highly recommend it. It comes with light mounting tabs and there are other brackets you can get for your hi-lift jack, etc..

View attachment 116439 View attachment 116440 View attachment 116441 View attachment 116442 View attachment 116443

All that being said, I have no idea if this would work on a 2 door.
Ok, I might have to look into this one. Appreciate the response!

Recent new member here. Been reviewing previous posts and came across this one regarding roof racks. I like the Smittybilt Defender rack displayed. Low cost and what appears to be no drilling into fiberglass top. Do the rear hinge mounts interfere with the rear window operation (is window allowed to go up and down)? Any post installation advice to offer?

Recent new member here. Been reviewing previous posts and came across this one regarding roof racks. I like the Smittybilt Defender rack displayed. Low cost and what appears to be no drilling into fiberglass top. Do the rear hinge mounts interfere with the rear window operation (is window allowed to go up and down)? Any post installation advice to offer?
There is no difference in the operation of the rear window. It lifts all the way and no issues at all. Be very careful when loosening the window hinge one side at a time. You only need to loosen the hinge enough to get a flat piece of steel that fits over the bolts- less than 3/16"- so go slowly.
I would highly recommend pre-fitting everything first to see how it goes together, the decide how you want to go about it. The rack is relatively heavy and an odd size to try to hoist onto the roof yourself. I did it because I'm a pretty big guy, but I still managed to scratch the top in a couple places. Each of the mounting brackets is adjustable, so once you've torqued all the fixed points, you'll have to align to rack on the mounts, both side-to-side and back to front to square it up on the roof.
You'll need open end or box wrenches as the clearance between the roof and the nuts for the bracket bolts is less than a couple inches and a socket won't fit.
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you- I wasn't aware you had asked.

Yakima has a good option. The crossbars snap in when you need them, and come off really easy. I only have them on when I moving the kayak around. I would highly recommend them.

my 2cts: don't go cheap... i did the mistake and got crossbars to carry the load when offroading... they were rated at 250lbs but i realized later on that it's static weight.. they literally snapped during a trail ride and i had to have my friends share the cargo.
decided to go with the top of the line and ordered a Gobi the weekend after. It's pricey and might be overkill for someone's else needs, but be sure you get what you NEED not what your bank account decides.. it's better to wait and save some money to buy later something that will last.
having said that, if it's only to carry a kayak or bikes or some boards from the hardware store, i think those crossbars work flawlessly.

my 2cts: don't go cheap... i did the mistake and got crossbars to carry the load when offroading... they were rated at 250lbs but i realized later on that it's static weight.. they literally snapped during a trail ride and i had to have my friends share the cargo.
decided to go with the top of the line and ordered a Gobi the weekend after. It's pricey and might be overkill for someone's else needs, but be sure you get what you NEED not what your bank account decides.. it's better to wait and save some money to buy later something that will last.
having said that, if it's only to carry a kayak or bikes or some boards from the hardware store, i think those crossbars work flawlessly.
This!!

I went Gobi. IMO it is the best looking rack, but the wait times and customer service are ridiculous.

I went in with expectations of a 9 month wait. I am just on that mark. I think it wont be long before I get it, but I understand why people don't want to wait for Gobi. To me, the end result will be worth it.

I got the AEG roofrack, which isn't drilled but mounts to the back window mount and rain gutter on the sides. Very sturdy.

I really wish I would have bought one of these when I had the opportunity.

130927c.jpg

They're out of production (just like AEV Corner guards, sigh.)