Looking for pre-purchase advice for a Wrangler

Tom_H

Supporting Member
Hello:

I have not owned a jeep in a long time.

Back in 1988 I purchased an '88 Jeep Wrangler new of the dealership lot. We owned it for 11 years.

I am interested in buying a Jeep Wrangler again.

We live in the mid-Michigan area (Flint / Lansing).

We will be trading in our 2016 Chevrolet Traverse.

We like the Traverse because of all the storage is has in the back.

We don't have any kids, but we have two 40lb dogs that travel with us from time to time.

On rare occasion we pull a 12 foot enclosed trailer (single axle, no electric brakes).

Due to COVID, we both work from home. That might change. If the Jeep became a daily driver I estimate 50 miles per day usage.

We won't be doing any rock crawling, but we do go off road on logging trails etc in Michigan's upper peninsula to get to some remote lakes or remote hiking areas.

There seems to be quite a few 2017 models on the Auto-trader website in the $30k price range, maybe these are lease turn-ins ? That would be at the very top/max of our budget.

We will need an automatic transmission.

Is there any advice on what to look for, what to look out for ?
What wheel and tire size we should have ?
Do we need a "towing package" ?

I am not in a hurry, but am ready to start research to figure out what we need and what we can afford and what will work best for our needs.

Thank-you,
Tom

Welcome to the forum first off!

The biggest thing I need to tell you about is rust. These things have a tendency to rust out on the frame and underside, and being in Michigan you're going to be dealing with some seriously rusted vehicles. Do not even think about buying one unless the underside is clean and rust free. If you see rust, walk away.

Of course if you plan on driving it in the winter there, it's going to rust out anyways unless you liberally coat it multiple times a year with something like Fluid Film.

Aside from rust, 2012+ is the years you ideally want to look for, and the newer the better. While they do have little issues, none of them are huge issues or anything you really need to pay attention for. If you have 30k to spend, you should be able to get a nice Rubicon Hard Rock JKU with lower miles, and possibly even CPO with a warranty.

You don't need a towing package, just keep in mind you can't tow anything extremely heavy with these things.

If you want the top of the line model, look for a Rubicon with the Hard Rock package, or a Rubicon Recon. Both of those are fully loaded and will also have the highest resale value as well, should you ever need to sell it.

Expect crappy fuel economy, but that's just the name of the game when it comes to these things (y)

Reactions: Tom_H
Our dogs are 85 and 95 lbs and they have plenty of room in the back. I have a SmittyBilt Defender rack on top for weekend trips, the freedom panels and other small stuff.
As Chris said, the towing limit on a JKU is about 3500 and you may want to consider a tranny cooler.
I think for $30k you should be able to find up to and including a 2016 or 17, just depends on the bells and whistles.

I have a Rubicon Recon and to the point Chris made, if you can afford it get one! Fly south, there is one sitting on a dealers lot down here that is awesome. Higher mileage, but heck, it’s built pretty well.
Good luck in the search.

Those are big dogs. We have had big dogs, but not currently.

I looked up the SmittyBilt Defender roof rack, that looks like a nice add-on.

As I am looking at different sites, is it better for me to try to find a Jeep with this type of automatic transmission 5-Spd W5A580 Auto (2012-2018) ? I need an automatic for my wife to drive it.

Also, I am thinking we would be better off with a 4 door - do the back seats come out easily ?

We have a side business in the summer time, where we go to events as vendors and setup a 10x10 tent and sell our stuff. This is where the Chevrolet Traverse (and formerly an Acadia) allow us to travel on a short 1 day event without the use of a trailer. For larger events, we bring our 12 foot enclosed trailer.

Those are big dogs. We have had big dogs, but not currently.

I looked up the SmittyBilt Defender roof rack, that looks like a nice add-on.

As I am looking at different sites, is it better for me to try to find a Jeep with this type of automatic transmission 5-Spd W5A580 Auto (2012-2018) ? I need an automatic for my wife to drive it.

Also, I am thinking we would be better off with a 4 door - do the back seats come out easily ?

We have a side business in the summer time, where we go to events as vendors and setup a 10x10 tent and sell our stuff. This is where the Chevrolet Traverse (and formerly an Acadia) allow us to travel on a short 1 day event without the use of a trailer. For larger events, we bring our 12 foot enclosed trailer.
The rear seats in a 4 door dont come out super easy like the 2 door, but they do fold flat so you have a flat surface in the back.

Sometimes I wish I had a 4 door. 😭

When I pay mine off next year I am going to think about looking at a 4 door JL or a JT.
Yeah I’m torn as well. Love my 2 door but some extra room would come in handy. Keeping this Jeep 5 more years then handing the keys to my son. (He’s 11) I’ll worry about how many doors then. Lol

I found this one online. We are looking for a Jeep that will be my wife's primary transportation. She works from home full time and when she does need to go into the office it is about a 15 min drive.

I think the asking price is $34,000.00
We would be trading in our 2016 Chevrolet Traverse.

Any opinions/pro/cons/suggestions ?

I found this one online. We are looking for a Jeep that will be my wife's primary transportation. She works from home full time and when she does need to go into the office it is about a 15 min drive.

I think the asking price is $34,000.00
We would be trading in our 2016 Chevrolet Traverse.

Any opinions/pro/cons/suggestions ?

For that price you can get a unlimited Rubicon. Pass.

Get a Rubicon, seriously. Not only do you get better equipment, but also Rubicons hold value way better than any other wrangler.

For that price you can get a unlimited Rubicon. Pass.

Get a Rubicon, seriously. Not only do you get better equipment, but also Rubicons hold value way better than any other wrangler.

I like the idea of a vehicle holding it's value longer.
Here is a Rubicon I also saw in my area. I'm not excited about a white jeep.. but, my wife is OK with it and it will be her car.

I like the idea of a vehicle holding it's value longer.
Here is a Rubicon I also saw in my area. I'm not excited about a white jeep.. but, my wife is OK with it and it will be her car.

I agree, I’m not a fan of white vehicles.
I think that is getting there. I would still keep looking. The right deal is out there, just be patient.
Others might be able to weigh in on the Rubicon, but for 50,000+ miles and no real options (leather or aftermarket upgrades) I think it should be closer to about 30k. I doubt they would be willing to go down to 28 which is what I would give for it. However, I’m cheap. 😂 I would say if the wife isn’t rushing, keep looking. I know it’s tempting just to buy, but the tortoise won the race. 😉

Reactions: Tom_H
IndominusHuman - good advice - Thank-you :)
I was just thinking about it, really if you could hold off till next spring (I know that’s a long time and I wouldn’t be able to hold off that long) a lot of people will be trading in their Jeeps in prep to get the bronco.
Also, I think people trade their Jeeps in more going into winter.

If it is a 2 door leave the back seats at the dealership. Mine are in the basement for the last ten yrs, and look like they are strait out of the factory. Anybody want them there free, just pay for the shipping, will throw in a 1 yr old OEM exhaust. LOL

We got a 4 door. I sure we are going to miss the mass-storage capability that we had with our 2016 Chevrolet Traverse.. but, we will figure out how to make due.

The dealership had a 2016 Jeep Rubicon. We took it for a test drive. There was "new" as in "brand new" carpet that had not yet been glued down. I put the rear seats down and found out why there was new carpet.. .under the rear seats is was CAKED with MUD. I suspect someone drove thru a mud hole with the doors off. The suspension was also very rough for a road vehicle and it had a "strange" exhaust sound.. maybe mud in exhaust as well ?

We then test drove the 2018 Sahara model.... liked it, decided to trade in 2 cars to help pay for it.

We both have been working from home full time since March, due to COVID.

I hope that by keeping it garaged and not putting a lot of miles on it, it will help to hold its value some.

Jeep_Sahara_2018.JPG
I

Reactions: BLACKJKU
(Looking good Mr. Carter) I heard the Freedom Tops are heavy on the 4 doors to remove. My wife refused to help me with our 2 door yrs ago. Now will just pull the wings off. That is alright because all the dogs we have rescued from the SPCA could not jump out.

(Looking good Mr. Carter) I heard the Freedom Tops are heavy on the 4 doors to remove. My wife refused to help me with our 2 door yrs ago. Now will just pull the wings off. That is alright because all the dogs we have rescued from the SPCA could not jump out.
I think there is only a few pounds difference between the 2 door top and 4 door. My dad has both 2 and 4 door and claims it’s easier to take the 4 door top off because of weight distribution. The two door is very very rear heavy.

All physics at this point. Once we had dropped the windshield, pulled the doors, had everything off (takes some time). Lets just say it was hunting season. No bugs, no snow yet, no rain in the forecast, could see Mars in the south at about 2330 HRS, and the moon. F putting it all back on till 0800 HRS. Well we spooked a black bear sleeping in the back of the JK come morning. And that is why I stay up late. Cow moose tried to eat our mail box last spring, my wife had painted flowers on it. All Good.