Looking for opinions on this frame

xackley

JK Enthusiast
Looking at a 2013 to replace a 2000 TJ. 6 speed, 3.21 gears, lsd in rear. $14000
Dealer sent pictures of the frame. Can you see any damage. Remember this is a NYS salt belt Jeep so don't be too hard on it. I would be power brushing it and taking it to Krown to try to preserve it if I buy it.
jeep13c.jpg
jeep13b.jpg
jeep13a.jpg

Thank you
Don

Not bad, but considering it's a 2013 I'd still expect better. If you're JK shopping as oppose to TJ, it should be much, much easier to find a clean frame, even where you're at. They made so many JKs (in comparison to TJs) it's not even funny.

Put a $200 deposit on it, Sales guy wrote fully refundable if I decide I don't want it on the price sheet.
The TPMS is not working. The radio works on serius, but is silent on FM/AM. There was a small crack in the windshield. Makes me nervous they did not thoroughly check and fix obvious problems before offering for sale.
When they say everything is fixed, I will check it out again, if everything is as it should be, I will buy it with a 30 power train/electronics warranty. If any thing is weird, I'll walk with my deposit.
Don

Dude, if you are not willing to take this minor issues on a jeep, you are in to a big surprise. No guts no glory!

I rescued a 2000 tj from sitting in a field for 3 years and made it run. In the last 3-4 years it has served me well plus plowed my driveway and trailered tons of coal and gravel.

I will deal with future problems, not the problems that a car dealer should have taken care of before I looked at the vehicle. And the TPM system being down could result in many hours of tracing sensors receivers and wires, much of which probably requires analytic and programming tools I do not have on my bench. Then again it might be a single bad ground. Why would I buy a vehicle that I suspect might cost a thousand dollars in shop time before it is ready to roll.

Reactions: Chris
I rescued a 2000 tj from sitting in a field for 3 years and made it run. In the last 3-4 years it has served me well plus plowed my driveway and trailered tons of coal and gravel.

I will deal with future problems, not the problems that a car dealer should have taken care of before I looked at the vehicle. And the TPM system being down could result in many hours of tracing sensors receivers and wires, much of which probably requires analytic and programming tools I do not have on my bench. Then again it might be a single bad ground. Why would I buy a vehicle that I suspect might cost a thousand dollars in shop time before it is ready to roll.

I agree completely.

They made so many damn JKs that finding a clean, problem free one (even in New York) isn't going to be anywhere near as hard as finding a clean TJ.

Just for spit and a giggle, I'd say go and test drive it then ask for $12.5k before you walk away.

Last edited:
The dealer says they replaced the windshield and fixed the TPMS. But had to order the radio. So hopefully early next week for final inspection and test drive.
Then hopefully I will drive it home and test it on the mud and slush that are the dirt roads up on the hills.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Chris
Follow up is I did purchase the jeep. On the road it is more like our dodge caravan that my TJ.
The 3.21 gears are fine for street and highway. But I was surprised how fast it moves when idling in 4lo in low gear. It felt a lot faster that the TJ. It will probably be adequate for slow descents and climbs but wouldn't be very good for slow navigation over an obstacle. If I was still young and foolish 3.73 or higher would be necessary.

Thank you for your input
Don

JK 3.6L is a bit superior over the TJ 4.0L.
Almost like dealing with a city boy college kid compared to a construction worker out in the boonies.

Last edited:
Some would consider it high mileage, 125K. But I will probably put less that 2000 on a year so every other JK will catch up pretty fast. The dealer supplied a 30 day written warranty.

If you set the odometer to actual mileage, turn Jeep on but do not start, Hold the trip reset button down for about 7 seconds it will give you running Hours.

Mileage/Hours on this one resulted to 39.9 average MPH. To me that indicates lots of highway,
and little stop and go and Idling, and little trail time.
The carfax showed the previous owner drove 75K in 2.5 years, and the body and underside show no sign of offroad.
I decided it was a safe bet.

The only down side for me is I was looking for a soft top, and this one is a hard. I think I will leave it hard top and see how it works out in the summer months. It sure is a lot more quiet and sophisticated compared to my TJ!
Don

Reactions: Chris
JK 3.6L is a bit superior over the TJ 4.0L.
Almost like dealing with a city boy college kid compared to a construction worker out in the boonies.

Having owned both, I would say the 3.6 is superior to the 4.0 in every possible way. I don't even think the two can be compared. The 3.6 is actually the perfect engine for the Jeep Wrangler IMHO.