Looking for opinions on a 2010 JK Sport

TJTony

Gentlemen,

As the present owner of a TJ, I am contemplating the purchase of a 2010 JK Sport hardtop (Freedom top). 3.8 ltr with a 6 speed.
Any current JK owners have any comments or insights into the 2010 JK Sport?

Thanx,
TJTony

I had an '07 with the ngs370. It was a piece of crap! While I couldn't attest to the previous owners care, that tranny is known to have some issues. Others have had zero issues, so who knows.

I know I'll never own another as you can't get all of the parts to rebuild them. Even the dealerships can't. My bro-in-law is a mechanic for a stealer and they had a guy in a rental for over 3 months and finally put in a 'refurbished' unit. I had to wonder how refurbished it actually was, lol. Good luck!

Tim

I'd take the manual trans anyday over the auto trans. To many electronics on them and from what I heard it'll shut down everything and you can't even drive it if something minor happens to it.

September 2020 I bought a 2010 JK Sahara with Freedom hardtop. It was a one owner from New Jersey. Great condition with 37,500 miles. I am happy with it. It is my fourth Jeep and second Wrangler.

Reactions: mrjp
I had an '07 with the ngs370. It was a piece of crap! While I couldn't attest to the previous owners care, that tranny is known to have some issues. Others have had zero issues, so who knows.

I know I'll never own another as you can't get all of the parts to rebuild them. Even the dealerships can't. My bro-in-law is a mechanic for a stealer and they had a guy in a rental for over 3 months and finally put in a 'refurbished' unit. I had to wonder how refurbished it actually was, lol. Good luck!

Tim
Tim, Thanx for reply. The JK that I am contemplating has 141k on it, so I thought that most of the bugs would be worked out by that mileage.

I'd take the manual trans anyday over the auto trans. To many electronics on them and from what I heard it'll shut down everything and you can't even drive it if something minor happens to it.
The JK that I am contemplating purchasing, has the 6 speed, which is the only tranny that I would consider purchasing.

September 2020 I bought a 2010 JK Sahara with Freedom hardtop. It was a one owner from New Jersey. Great condition with 37,500 miles. I am happy with it. It is my fourth Jeep and second Wrangler.
The JK that I am contemplating purchasing appears to be in good condition. However, I've heard so many negative reports about JKs, that I'm taking my time sealing the deal.

I'm only about 1500 miles into my 2010 JK hardtop, manual. Bought with 46k miles on the clock. I'm the 3rd owner. I just finished replacing the front calipers and SS brake lines all around. The front driver would randomly stick and drag. So that was a buzz kill. I don't have enough seat time yet but the 3.8 is somewhat under powered but the stick helps find the right gear. Definite lack of cubbies to put stuff. I was surprised that when you fold or take out the back seat there is quite a bit of room. I love rowing through the gears. I'm plotting out some woods trails about an hour away. I'm looking for trails to ride my dual sport on and I thought I could use the jeep to discover first.
- What negative things have you heard?

I'm only about 1500 miles into my 2010 JK hardtop, manual. Bought with 46k miles on the clock. I'm the 3rd owner. I just finished replacing the front calipers and SS brake lines all around. The front driver would randomly stick and drag. So that was a buzz kill. I don't have enough seat time yet but the 3.8 is somewhat under powered but the stick helps find the right gear. Definite lack of cubbies to put stuff. I was surprised that when you fold or take out the back seat there is quite a bit of room. I love rowing through the gears. I'm plotting out some woods trails about an hour away. I'm looking for trails to ride my dual sport on and I thought I could use the jeep to discover first.

You need to put a Pedal Commander or similar product on your JK it will make the throttle more responsive.

Reactions: Vman and mrjp
I have a 2009 rubicon with 190k and the only transmission problem I have is that once every 3 months or so, it pops out of first gear. Could totally be user error, but I'm happy with the machine. The power curve is vastly different than the 14 sport I used to have, but this showed up cheap after the 14 and my knee had a bad day at an intersection a few years back.

the 3.8 is a well tested engine. It probably should never have been put in a jeep, but it will last a long time.

Reactions: Vman
I have heard that 3.8s are notorious oil burners. So bad in fact that Jeep recalled the '09 engines for replacement. Also that the electrical system is plagued with problems. Leaks are the third issue that I've heard.

Reactions: Hooperdog
I have heard that 3.8s are notorious oil burners. So bad in fact that Jeep recalled the '09 engines for replacement. Also that the electrical system is plagued with problems. Leaks are the third issue that I've heard.
Ours doesn't burn oil that bad, just a little. No electrical issues at all. And as for leaks, heck they all have leaks, that's a Jeep!

Mine looses enough oil to be annoying, but it appears to be the upper pan gasket which is an easy repair... when it's warm. Holding off for warm weather.

Reactions: Vman and mrjp
Mine looses enough oil to be annoying, but it appears to be the upper pan gasket which is an easy repair... when it's warm. Holding off for warm weather.
Thanx for the reply MacGuyver. Loosing oil through a leak is bad enough, I was referring to the engine actually burning the oil. I've heard that the JK's were serious oil burners.

Thanx for the reply MacGuyver. Loosing oil through a leak is bad enough, I was referring to the engine actually burning the oil. I've heard that the JK's were serious oil burners.

I only have 75,000 miles on mine and it doesn't burn oil, i've never heard any issues with oil burning. But any high mileage engine can do that.