Looking for advice on new wheels and tires

Lzimmerman2013

First time Jeep owner (personally). My husband has a ‘97. I just purchased my 2018 JK Sport (4door) in a February of this year. It came with a 4” lift with 35”x12.50x17 tires and wheels and almost 2” spacers. I’m looking for a slimmer tire in a 35” AT and remove the spacers. I’m also aiming for it looking like it sets up higher than it currently, like my husband’s. With the spacers on it now, it looks so wide. You can definitely tell in person the difference in width of my tires and my husbands. He’s also on a 15” wheel. Any suggestions? (Pictures: mines the red; his is the blue). TIA!

6DE79359-FBEC-4C32-872A-BA2F216C6870.jpeg

78EC985E-BB94-48A8-B6A7-B47A21A1A567.jpeg

D05328C3-D91A-47BB-AD18-A92FAE157AA1.jpeg

First and foremost, you'll want to remove the spacers if you want to get rid of that skateboard look (where the wheels stick out wider than the vehicle).

Secondly, if you want the same look as your husband, I agree with @Daddyo2373, get a tire that is the same size as your husbands Jeep, just for a 17" wheel.

I actually don't think your tires look that wide. 12.5" is an average width for a 35" tire, and you may have trouble finding anything narrower in 35" sizes (though not in 33").

I think it's the wheel spacers contributing to that look you don't like, which I don't like either (y)

First and foremost, you'll want to remove the spacers if you want to get rid of that skateboard look (where the wheels stick out wider than the vehicle).

Secondly, if you want the same look as your husband, I agree with @Daddyo2373, get a tire that is the same size as your husbands Jeep, just for a 17" wheel.

I actually don't think your tires look that wide. 12.5" is an average width for a 35" tire, and you may have trouble finding anything narrower in 35" sizes (though not in 33").

I think it's the wheel spacers contributing to that look you don't like, which I don't like either (y)

Thank you both for the reply. His tires are exactly the same as mine but for a 15” wheel. We’ve taken the tires off and found why the spacers were put on: because the wheels are so deep on the backside that, without the spacers, the tires rub underneath. And then take limes are exposed in the wheel well.

Thank you both for the reply. His tires are exactly the same as mine but for a 15” wheel. We’ve taken the tires off and found why the spacers were put on: because the wheels are so deep on the backside that, without the spacers, the tires rub underneath. And then take limes are exposed in the wheel well.

Ahhh, in that case you need a wheel with the proper backspacing, so you don't need to run the spacers. The ideal backspacing for a JK is right around 5.25". If you find a 17x8, 17x8.5, or 17x9 wheel with 5.25" backspacing, (or close to that) you won't need to run those spacers.

Reactions: Lzimmerman2013