Looking for a Wrangler—Questions

aknavy

Looking for a Wrangler - one of the things I want is either a locker or limited slip differential. Other than paying for the Rubicon or Willy's, is there an easy way to tell if a Sport/other model was optioned for a limited slip? I know with Ford/Chevy, the VIN has the rear in it - same with Jeep? If so, what's the magic code for LSD?

Or, should I just say F It, get one and upgrade later on. I don't plan on any serious off roading now, but may go that direction in the future. Just don't want to get stuck!

Different subject - what brands of aftermarket steel front bumpers are actually strong and functional, capable of being used to tow the Jeep regularly?

I don't know of a way to visually tell if a particular model has a limited slip. When you are shopping, get the VIN and plug it in to this site to get the build sheet.

That's the easiest way to know how it left the factory.

Bumpers? I think you'll need to think about what other features you want (winch, stinger/hoop yes/no, stubby/mid/full). Lots of options.

AMC used to stamp the gear ratio code in the housing boss and if it had a LS, it would have 2 identical stamps. I don't think Dana does that on the axle tag.

If I have read correctly you can't get LS in the rear if it's a automatic, I guess it causes problems with the trans. You can have a part time locker like E lockers.

Last edited:
I have a factory LSD in my 2016. They were optional on Sahara's and Sport S's.

The only limitation I'm aware of regarding traction devices and an auto tyranny, is the 2012-2018 autos don't like automatic lockers like the Aussie Locker and others. A Tru Track or factory LSD is fine.

Also, when checking out Jeeps, you can test for a traction device by jacking up the front or back so both tires are off the ground. Then just spin a tire. If the opposite tire rotates the opposite direction or not at all, you have an open diff. If the tire spins in the same direction you have an LSD or a locker.

I don't know of a way to visually tell if a particular model has a limited slip. When you are shopping, get the VIN and plug it in to this site to get the build sheet.

Bumpers? I think you'll need to think about what other features you want (winch, stinger/hoop yes/no, stubby/mid/full). Lots of options.

This is what I was looking for, I think....

X2 to this. Run the VIN through there and you'll easily be able to tell what you're looking at and what it came with.

Reactions: mrjp