Looking for a rear bumper for my JK

jklooney

I have a LOD front with zero issues, Their rear bumper with t-carrier is $1700.... so I have been checking to see if any others are around that I have missed, I think I can build an acceptable tire carrier, but the bumper needs to be sturdy (3/16" metal)

I like the Poison Spider bumper but the receiver is not tow rated.
AEV is tow rated but they use 4mm metal which I think is 1/8-5/32"

what am i missing?

Reactions: Duster and Speartip
I get the dollar thing, I went with LOD because I needed a bumper strong enough to be able to tow the jeep with no worries. Towed the jk to this past summer to colorado with no problems. So my first choice is LOD (minus the tire carrier), just trying to see if I am missing any other choices. I have looked at amazon, Morris, extreme, etc.

craig

Reactions: Speartip
I'm no flat towing expert, but I have the impression that your tow bar generally connects to the frame, not the bumper.

Gettig off track here a little.... but you are correct, The LOD front bumper connects to the frame, they offer an additional kit which re-enforces the bumper to frame connection, and allows flat towing via the D ring mounts, and also provides for attachment of safety chains....

prior to this jk, I had an LJ (totaled) which I was able to build Ft & rr bumpers out of 2x4 3/16 box steel, and a rear tire carrier to go with. But I like the current bent metal style for the jk.

I'm not exactly sure what your looking for TBH.
There's a ton of choices . I looked around for stuff
before I even got my Jeep.
Really liked the Smittybilt Bilt rear XRC gen 1.
3/16 thick . Attaches to main frame rails
main cross bar at the back. Welds are top
notch , probably by a machine. Finish is
flawless.
Hitch is rated class 2 if memory serves .
Designed in a way to provide plenty of
clearance . Can't ask for more than that
IMG_2255.JPG

Speartip..... thanks for the response.... bumper still in process. I did attempt to buy the xrc gen 1 bumper/tire carrier, but was quoted none available ie back ordered. So I went with the unpainted poison spider bumper.... in the pic I have the bumper mocked up on the jeep, with the start of the tire carrier (base bar & pivot) laid on for thinking about. I called the spider folks and discussed the hitch and it's strength. They claimed that it is rated for towing what the jeep is rated for (3500 lbs max).

anyway this will give me a chance to test my jr. welding skills....

JK bumper mockup.jpg

Speartip..... thanks for the response.... bumper still in process. I did attempt to buy the xrc gen 1 bumper/tire carrier, but was quoted none available ie back ordered. So I went with the unpainted poison spider bumper.... in the pic I have the bumper mocked up on the jeep, with the start of the tire carrier (base bar & pivot) laid on for thinking about. I called the spider folks and discussed the hitch and it's strength. They claimed that it is rated for towing what the jeep is rated for (3500 lbs max).

anyway this will give me a chance to test my jr. welding skills....

View attachment 123974

Can’t go wrong with P Spyder. They make quality gear . Bumper looks really good . Kinda similar to the SB except you have a couple holes for rear lights .

Reactions: mrjp
I have a LOD front with zero issues, Their rear bumper with t-carrier is $1700.... so I have been checking to see if any others are around that I have missed, I think I can build an acceptable tire carrier, but the bumper needs to be sturdy (3/16" metal)

I like the Poison Spider bumper but the receiver is not tow rated.
AEV is tow rated but they use 4mm metal which I think is 1/8-5/32"

what am i missing?
Four millimeters is just a little more than 5/32" and about .03 less than 3/16. The "tow rated" probably tells you more than metal thickness, though.

Just to finish this off... different from some projects... I did manage to finish this one

bumper.jpg
, and have since done a Colorado and Death Valley trips... my welding sometimes looks like stringing popcorn for a Christmas tree but it holds... lol