Looking at buying a Wrangler Unlimited for a fun vehicle

Packerjohn

New member, thanks for the add. Looking at buying first Jeep, a used Unlimited as a "fun" vehicle where you could put the top down on nice days, maybe some very mild off-roading (nothing I would modify from stock at this point). We had one for a rental in Hawaii for a week and loved it. It would be a 3rd vehicle, maybe get some daily driving but mostly weekends.

What are the thoughts on automatic vs manual? Of course the rental was an automatic, but I'm pretty sure I want a manual. I've had a manual transmission vehicle for about half the time I've been driving. We are in a smaller city so no real issues with lots of stop and go traffic.

We are in Central IL where there is salt used on the roads. We have a son in Austin, TX so he could look at any vehicle I'd see from online searches. Anyone have experiences good or bad going for a "southern" vehicle.

Thinking top I want to spend is about $25k, don't need a lot of extras, the Sport would be fine, soft top for sure maybe a hardtop and a bit bigger tire and wheel upgrade for appearance. Don't want anything that has been off-roaded hard. Hoping can find some good value in this time of the virus.

Any suggestions as to what to watch out for?

For 25k you can get a really nice JK. However, if you drive it when they salt the roads, it's going to be a rusted out bucket in short order.

I'd look outside of Illinois for your search for a clean, rust free Wrangler. Look down south in Florida, Alabama, and also look in the southwest (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona), as well as the entire west coast. They don't use salt in any of those states, and finding a rust free Wrangler in those parts is very easy (I know, I live in Oregon and Arizona).

In terms of automatic versus manual, I prefer automatics.

I like them better for off-roading and driving in traffic.

The only time I prefer manual transmissions is in my sports cars. The NSG370 manual transmission that comes in the JK Wranglers is a mediocre transmission at best, with lots of known issues and not the best shifting habits.

If you want a manual, get one. If you want an automatic, get one.

No one can tell you which one is "better", that's all your own personal preference (y)

I agree with Chris one thing, that also is hardtop much better than soft top especially if you don't live in the nicest area of town for have harsh elements like if you live up north hardtop is going to be way better for you

For 25k you can get a really nice JK. However, if you drive it when they salt the roads, it's going to be a rusted out bucket in short order.

I'd look outside of Illinois for your search for a clean, rust free Wrangler. Look down south in Florida, Alabama, and also look in the southwest (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona), as well as the entire west coast. They don't use salt in any of those states, and finding a rust free Wrangler in those parts is very easy (I know, I live in Oregon and Arizona).

In terms of automatic versus manual, I prefer automatics.

I like them better for off-roading and driving in traffic.

The only time I prefer manual transmissions is in my sports cars. The NSG370 manual transmission that comes in the JK Wranglers is a mediocre transmission at best, with lots of known issues and not the best shifting habits.

If you want a manual, get one. If you want an automatic, get one.

No one can tell you which one is "better", that's all your own personal preference (y)
Appreciate the thoughts. I am thinking about shopping TX. With my son in Austin and San Antonio only 70 miles down I-35 got two of the biggest cities he can scout several vehicles and I can catch a $150 flight down and drive back with the purchase. Interesting thought on the reliability of the manual transmission. I learned to shift a manual on a 20 year old farm pickup with a 3 on the column and drove a dump truck as a college summer job so literally anything shifts smooth to me.

I agree with Chris one thing, that also is hardtop much better than soft top especially if you don't live in the nicest area of town for have harsh elements like if you live up north hardtop is going to be way better for you
We're in Illinois in what pretty much anyone would consider a good area, plus have s 3 car garage so it would be inside at night. Thinking would really like the wide open feel of the soft top. May get both.

Appreciate the thoughts. I am thinking about shopping TX. With my son in Austin and San Antonio only 70 miles down I-35 got two of the biggest cities he can scout several vehicles and I can catch a $150 flight down and drive back with the purchase. Interesting thought on the reliability of the manual transmission. I learned to shift a manual on a 20 year old farm pickup with a 3 on the column and drove a dump truck as a college summer job so literally anything shifts smooth to me.

In that case, you'll be right at home with the manual transmission in a Wrangler. They updated to a much better manual transmission in the JLs. The JK manual isn't terrible, it's just not the greatest in terms of feel or long term reliability for whatever reason. Then again, a lot of it depends on how you drive it, just like any vehicle.

So... Have you found one yet?
Haven't found one yet. Saw one I really liked at a dealer 30 miles down the road. Looked at Carfax. I was bought in LA about 3 weeks before Harvey hit. They kept it for a year, auctioned. Someone here in IL bought it, was hit 3 months later. The kept it a couple more years and traded in.

I was searching 100 miles on Autotrader. Expanded to 200 miles and found one 120 miles away that the dealer had for 5 months. Before I could get down to look at it, it sold or was auctioned off. Another one about 100 miles away, looked good, price a bit high. Was going to go look but also sold.

You looking?

Yes, for a week. They go fast here in Utah. I found one that was basic and clean (JKU). It’s an 07 with manual locks, windows and tranny. It’ll be a weekend car, so I just wanted it clean and didn’t need too many power options (had to have A/C tho!). It’ll need a lift and slightly bigger tires and I’ll be good. I have to get a hard top by winter though. I’m supposed to go back tomorrow and buy it. Hopefully, it doesn’t get sold out from under me... been my luck lately.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: theRealCrazy
Odds are when you find one you like it will have a hard top. A hard top subtracts a huge chunk out of the fun factor.
But, finding a oem soft top on craigslist or facebook marketplace is fairly easy. Or $600 and up you can pickup a frameless aftermarket soft top.

In a jeep, i prefer manual shift.
When checking out the specs, 3.73 gearing would be better that 3.21.
Mine is 3.21 with stock tires, and it is geared pretty high. I wish I had gotten lucky and found a 3.73 that was priced right when I was looking.
If possible, get a 2013 or newer.

Don

Yes, for a week. They go fast here in Utah. I found one that was basic and clean (JKU). It’s an 07 with manual locks, windows and tranny. It’ll be a weekend car, so I just wanted it clean and didn’t need too many power options (had to have A/C tho!). It’ll need a lift and slightly bigger tires and I’ll be good. I have to get a hard top by winter though. I’m supposed to go back tomorrow and buy it. Hopefully, it doesn’t get sold out from under me... been my luck lately.

Good luck to you!
And you too.

Odds are when you find one you like it will have a hard top. A hard top subtracts a huge chunk out of the fun factor.
But, finding a oem soft top on craigslist or facebook marketplace is fairly easy. Or $600 and up you can pickup a frameless aftermarket soft top.

In a jeep, i prefer manual shift.
When checking out the specs, 3.73 gearing would be better that 3.21.
Mine is 3.21 with stock tires, and it is geared pretty high. I wish I had gotten lucky and found a 3.73 that was priced right when I was looking.
If possible, get a 2013 or newer.

Don

Thanks. I was real close to a 2016 no options but 24000 one owner no accident miles and was certified so extra warranty for $21,500 at a dealer about 90 miles away. Sold 15 minutes before I got there (buyers were still doing the paperwork). Not giving up though.

Agree most have a hardtop, which is fine but I'll have a soft top on order.

IMG-1176.JPG
IMG-1177.JPGIMG-1176.JPG

Finally. One (a good one) did not sell before I could look at it or think about it overnight. It was really stock and only had a soft top (which actually isn't bad in terms of going no top or storage), but does ave aftermarket bumpers and a winch. I got it (2007) for a great price and it's actually in better shape cosmetically and mechanically than the others I looked at for more. However, the "mom & pop" dealership (who were great people) put road tires on upgraded factory rims (from steel) on it. After purchase, I went and bought take off Rubicon Recon rims with BFG KMs from someone, including the spare. Went back to the dealership after a couple hours and they bought the road tires and other rims from me and we swapped out.

It does have a 3.21 gears, opposed to the 3.73 or 4.10 that I would have preferred... but, I can always swap. Buying it at a very reasonable price will allow me to lift it a bit and get a hard top for the future.

I hope one comes available in your area, as I know the feeling of finding a decent pre-owned one. I think once you've seen enough, you'll know what you'll take and probably just have to act pretty fast.

IMG-1181.jpg

View attachment 116271View attachment 116272View attachment 116271

Finally. One (a good one) did not sell before I could look at it or think about it overnight. It was really stock and only had a soft top (which actually isn't bad in terms of going no top or storage), but does ave aftermarket bumpers and a winch. I got it (2007) for a great price and it's actually in better shape cosmetically and mechanically than the others I looked at for more. However, the "mom & pop" dealership (who were great people) put road tires on upgraded factory rims (from steel) on it. After purchase, I went and bought take off Rubicon Recon rims with BFG KMs from someone, including the spare. Went back to the dealership after a couple hours and they bought the road tires and other rims from me and we swapped out.

It does have a 3.21 gears, opposed to the 3.73 or 4.10 that I would have preferred... but, I can always swap. Buying it at a very reasonable price will allow me to lift it a bit and get a hard top for the future.

I hope one comes available in your area, as I know the feeling of finding a decent pre-owned one. I think once you've seen enough, you'll know what you'll take and probably just have to act pretty fast.

View attachment 116273

Great color! The kids must love it (and the dog too!).

Reactions: 72c10

View attachment 116273
Is the color Red Rock Crystal Pearl? Looks from the pics as the same color as my 08 2dr Sahara .

Is the color Red Rock Crystal Pearl? Looks from the pics as the same color as my 08 2dr Sahara .

Thank you!!! I like your 2dr. We were initially looking at the 2drs, but it was so much easier loading the 2yo twins in a 4dr. It IS Red Rock Crystal Pearl... it grew on me real fast. Had a serious sag when I first bought it, due to the extremely heavy steel bumper and winch. I bought side steps from a gentleman who was moving, as he threw in 2012 Rubicon heavier springs and shocks in the deal (really for free, because he was moving). I had them put on today with a 2/1 Teraflex kit, and I am really pleased. Here's a pic of before and after. 2/1" leveling kit with Rubicon shocks and coils (heavier duty) and Rubicon Recon stock 32" tires on 17" rims.

@Packerjohn.... I hope you find one soon!!!!! It's instant therapy! (except when you're swiping your debit card for accessories).

IMG-1173.PNG

IMG-1206.JPG

New member, thanks for the add. Looking at buying first Jeep, a used Unlimited as a "fun" vehicle where you could put the top down on nice days, maybe some very mild off-roading (nothing I would modify from stock at this point). We had one for a rental in Hawaii for a week and loved it. It would be a 3rd vehicle, maybe get some daily driving but mostly weekends.

What are the thoughts on automatic vs manual? Of course the rental was an automatic, but I'm pretty sure I want a manual. I've had a manual transmission vehicle for about half the time I've been driving. We are in a smaller city so no real issues with lots of stop and go traffic.

We are in Central IL where there is salt used on the roads. We have a son in Austin, TX so he could look at any vehicle I'd see from online searches. Anyone have experiences good or bad going for a "southern" vehicle.

Thinking top I want to spend is about $25k, don't need a lot of extras, the Sport would be fine, soft top for sure maybe a hardtop and a bit bigger tire and wheel upgrade for appearance. Don't want anything that has been off-roaded hard. Hoping can find some good value in this time of the virus.

Any suggestions as to what to watch out for?

Is this too far off a drive for you? It seems decent. Maybe a sales person can take a pic of the undercarriage and email it?

View attachment 116273
Looks fantastic, hope you're enjoying it.