Lighting options & wind noise

Dirty Dog

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I know it's not for everyone, but I am a big fan of adding lighting. I suspect it relates to only having one eye; I want that one to see as much as possible.

I've had the common light bars at the top of the windshield on both Wranglers. They're great lighting, but REALLY LOUD. I've done all the recommended tricks to quiet them down, and while they do work, there is still an awful lot of wind noise.

I'm thinking of trying a light bar on top of the roof, a couple inches back from the windshield, with pod lights instead of a solid bar. Are any of you running something like this? How is it working, as regards both lighting and wind noise?

The rack I purchased has integrated, forward-facing lighting, and it sits way back from the windshield (behind the freedom panels).
Luckily, this setup makes no noise, or I would have heard about it from the wife.
This setup may not work for you, but there has got to be a midway point that allows for overhead lights and minimal/non-existent wind noise.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
The rack I purchased has integrated, forward-facing lighting, and it sits way back from the windshield (behind the freedom panels).
Luckily, this setup makes no noise, or I would have heard about it from the wife.
This setup may not work for you, but there has got to be a midway point that allows for overhead lights and minimal/non-existent wind noise.
How's the lighting with it so far back> Does the roofline block much of the light?

So far, so good. I haven’t really used them yet, but my initial impression is that while they aren’t GREAT, they are definitely better than without.
The only drawback so far is that they are USELESS w/ the Sunrider open.

So far, so good. I haven’t really used them yet, but my initial impression is that while they aren’t GREAT, they are definitely better than without.
The only drawback so far is that they are USELESS w/ the Sunrider open.
I don't think either of us has ever removed the Freedom Top on either Jeep. So I could mount them further forward. Probably a good idea to put a plug in the wires, just in case.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
I added a plug along the top of the roll bar, right above the driver seat.
I tucked it behind the padding, so it’s a 50/50 shot if I’ll remember to unplug it before ripping the wires apart the next time we remove the top.

I replaced the stock headlights with LEDs, followed by the fogs. The fogs helped immensely and anything is an improvement over stock headlights. I then added a couple 5" KCs on the a-pillar. Even more light. The best thing is I can turn everything on and not worry about the deer alongside the road, because I'll see him and.... I've got them aligned so they don't blind anyone coming at me like a hi-beam.
I've considered adding a couple more, but if I did, they'd go on the bumper.

I replaced the stock headlights with LEDs, followed by the fogs. The fogs helped immensely and anything is an improvement over stock headlights. I then added a couple 5" KCs on the a-pillar. Even more light. The best thing is I can turn everything on and not worry about the deer alongside the road, because I'll see him and.... I've got them aligned so they don't blind anyone coming at me like a hi-beam.
My front bumper is pretty full already, but that's a good option if it works for your setup.

Reactions: Danarch
Sounds like you have the same rack I do. They do give you extra light at night but not alot. I think they are only 18watt. I thought about replacing them with a bigger pod light, or maybe add another pair to the bumper.

20230402_140437.jpg

I put supplemental fogs on the bumper of my first Wrangler, and they worked great in the Arizona desert. With my second, I mounted spots on my A pillars - to see into the North Carolina woods - which I regret. Too much reflection from the hood when the lights are aimed correctly. I'd mount the lights on the bumper.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
This is close to my plan... Yet to be executed, though 😀

LED headlights and fogs and supplemental KCs (or whatever brand I go with) mounted on the push bar. Not my Jeep but something like this:

PXL_20231017_152331602.jpg

I've got four LED lights on the bumper. Two aimed ahead, and two aimed a bit down and out. I've got two A-pillar pod lights, also aimed down and out to better light the trail. I've also got a short LED bar on the front bumper, above the winch. This combo lights things up pretty well in close.
It's probably not really needed, but I just want something to turn night to day.
IMG_0857.JPG

I put supplemental fogs on the bumper of my first Wrangler, and they worked great in the Arizona desert. With my second, I mounted spots on my A pillars - to see into the North Carolina woods - which I regret. Too much reflection from the hood when the lights are aimed correctly. I'd mount the lights on the bumper.
I think the brand of spots may have something to do with it as well. I'd heard about hood reflection from a couple others here, but the KC pillar brackets seem to have a little height to them and I've never had a hood reflection issue.