Lifted JK with no problems

fmnjr

Hey people! New guy here who just wanted to post up my experience lifting a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Thanks to the many great posts here I researched, out lift job turned out pretty sweet!

Here's the nickel version:
* Used the Teraflex 2.5 Lift Kit with shocks from Extreme Terrain: https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-25-lift-kit-w-9550-vss-shocks-0718-jk-4-door.html
* Watched the install vid a bunch of times.
* Did the job with one floor jack, 4 jack stands and blocks when needed.
* Having an impact wrench was very handy.
* Took my son and I about 8 hours total to do the job.
* Lots of frustration (and some cursing) was involved.
* Our garage is pretty well equipped for DIY stuff, so that helped.

When we got to the step of tightening the front track bar bolts, I thought the old bar wouldn't work due to the holes not matching up. Didn't realize it was just the body shifted a bit and ordered an adjustable front track bar. When the bar arrived, it dawned on me what was going on and then we pushed the beast around a bit to get the track bar snugged up real good. Might still use the JSK bar, not sure yet though.

Took it out for a test drive just minutes ago and it is straight up dialed in! No oddities at all, nada. Runs straight and true just like it should so I'm very happy about how things turned out.

I know there's some opinions out there about the 9550 shocks and trying to do things on the thrifty side. We'll see what happens but for right now, it's good!

Thanks again to this great community of Jeep folks, it would have been much harder to do the lift without you.

One last thing, getting tires and wheels mounted next Monday (315/70r17).

ateam-plan.gif

Reactions: Vman and fmnjr
Hey people! New guy here who just wanted to post up my experience lifting a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Thanks to the many great posts here I researched, out lift job turned out pretty sweet!

* Used the Teraflex 2.5 Lift Kit with shocks from Extreme Terrain: https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-25-lift-kit-w-9550-vss-shocks-0718-jk-4-door.html

When we got to the step of tightening the front track bar bolts, I thought the old bar wouldn't work due to the holes not matching up. Didn't realize it was just the body shifted a bit and ordered an adjustable front track bar. When the bar arrived, it dawned on me what was going on and then we pushed the beast around a bit to get the track bar snugged up real good. Might still use the JSK bar, not sure yet though.

Took it out for a test drive just minutes ago and it is straight up dialed in! No oddities at all, nada. Runs straight and true just like it should so I'm very happy about how things turned out.

I know there's some opinions out there about the 9550 shocks and trying to do things on the thrifty side. We'll see what happens but for right now, it's good!

Thanks again to this great community of Jeep folks, it would have been much harder to do the lift without you.

I am looking into this exact lift kit, but for my 2 door JK. How much lift did you actually get out of the kit (I've read reviews where people have gotten 3" or so)? Also, did the kit level out the factory rake? Not sure if these questions apply evenly to the 2 door and 4 door models, but feedback is appreciated.

I am looking into this exact lift kit, but for my 2 door JK. How much lift did you actually get out of the kit (I've read reviews where people have gotten 3" or so)? Also, did the kit level out the factory rake? Not sure if these questions apply evenly to the 2 door and 4 door models, but feedback is appreciated.
For my 4 door, the actual lift appears to be 2.5 inches. This surprised me coz I was actually unaware the Ruby came with more lift to begin with and so the total lift ended up be about 4 inches. The rake is completely gone, if anything, the snout seems to now have a bit of attitude. Could just be me, but that's how it seems. Good luck with you lift!

I have the same lift on my 2009 rubicon. I'm very happy with it. The rake came back a bit, but not much, and your description (and method) were very similar to mine.

Now just get it in for an alignment and you are off.

As a note, this is pretty much the max size lift you can do before you need to start upgrading other parts. I still have the factory trackbar on mine and the axles are only about 1/2 inch off center, and impossible to notice. If you get 3" lift, you are starting to have to look at new control arms as well. I could run 35s" on it but I stick with 33"

Reactions: Vman and mrjp
I have the same lift on my 2009 rubicon. I'm very happy with it. The rake came back a bit, but not much, and your description (and method) were very similar to mine.

Now just get it in for an alignment and you are off.

As a note, this is pretty much the max size lift you can do before you need to start upgrading other parts. I still have the factory trackbar on mine and the axles are only about 1/2 inch off center, and impossible to notice. If you get 3" lift, you are starting to have to look at new control arms as well. I could run 35s" on it but I stick with 33"
How have those 9550s held up for you?

The 2.5 lift I got on top of the existing 1.5 is enough for me. My setup is perfect for booning, hunting, exploring, etc. You won't see me out flexing, pretty sure I'll leave that to those that wheel much more seriously than I.

Glad to hear you like the lift.

Reactions: mrjp
I'm quite happy with the ride quality of the 9550s. As far as holding up they have done well, though the lift is only about 2 years old, and the world shut down before I was able to do any wheeling.. not that there is much around here in western Wisconsin.

For what you are talking about this is a perfectly adequate kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
I bought a set of exhaust spacers thinking they might be required.

Now I'm looking at the spacing between the cross member and the driveshaft thinking it's very unlikely they could touch.

Do I really need to put them on?

Exhaust spacers? I didn't have to do anything with my exhaust at all. Mine is a Rubicon but I doubt that that part is any different. At this size lift you should be totally fine.

Exhaust spacers? I didn't have to do anything with my exhaust at all. Mine is a Rubicon but I doubt that that part is any different. At this size lift you should be totally fine.
Thanks.....was looking for some kind of confirmation they're not needed.

I just got my 2018 JKu sport back from a 4 inch teraflex lift installation.
I'm pretty sure the kit came with 9550 shocks. It also came with adjustable control arms front and rear, and adjustable track arms, and steering stabilizer. This is a pretty comprehensive kit.
Is there a problem with the 9550 shocks?

Our Jk is a daily driver and we've not experienced any problems with the 9550s. It's only been a few months they've been installed, so we'll see what happens.

Reactions: Vman

When you lift the Jeep the axles want to go towards the middle of the jeep and towards the driver side. A 2.5 inch lift is pretty mild but it will shift some.

A trick you can do with the trackbar disconnected is to actually move the steering wheel, which moves the body independant of the axle to help lining it up. Shoving the tub and cussing works too lol. Ratchet straps can help here too.

Only thing you want to be careful of is to only torque the bolts once the weight of the vehicle is on the axle to preload the bushings correctly.

My JK is an 07-11 but from what I understand the exhaust spacers are there to prevent contact with the ds at droop. Not 100% sure though.

Didn't see you mention the bump stop. Did the kit come with extra bump stop spacers?

Great job though! Nothing like a plan coming together. I know the feeling, driving mine was a white knuckle experience when I bought it.

Edit: Didn't notice this was from Oct 🤪