LIFT/TIRE RECOMMENDATION

Cygnus

Good Day!
I bought a bone stock 2018 Oscar Mike two weeks ago. I know there’s tons of threads already on largest tire for what lifts. The only off-roading I see doing in my Jeep is sand dunes at silver lake. I don’t mind paying more for a quality lift and tires but don’t want to pay for a lift and tires that I really don’t need. I like to stick with the stock wheels and don’t want to run wheel spacers. So my question is what equipment do I need to cruise the dunes this summer? brands and sizes would be great.
It’s a manual transmission with 3:21 gears .
Thanks !

Last edited:
Because sand dunes don't really require much flex and travel on the suspension, I'm not sure you need anything beyond and inch or 2 tops. This is fairly cost friendly. I'd be more concerned with gearing and tires than anything.

https://www.nathanson.org/davesays/2019/buildsheet-for-jeeps-vin/

Put your VIN in the above site and get a copy of your JK's build sheet. You'll need gears to climb those dunes more than you'll need a lift. While you don't want to get too ridiculous with the rear end for climbing dunes, you also need gears that will let you drive her on a daily basis, right? I'd probably recommend a 4.56 or 4.88 gear.

Next, a decent all-terrain tire, if you want to use stock wheels. Take your pick.

Here's something you may want to seriously consider as well- onboard air. A decent onboard air system that'll allow you to air down on the dunes and put it back to get on the road home. You'll also be pretty popular on the dunes with a good air system. I know the state parks in the NC Outer Banks require you air down to a maximum of 20psi, which is also not a good number for the highways.

Reactions: Cygnus
Thanks for the reply, I have 3:21 gears and a manual transmission. I definitely want to add some type of lift but my biggest concern is the stock wheels. What’s the largest tire height and width I can get away with on stock Oscar Mike wheels without spacers?

Thanks for the reply, I have 3:21 gears and a manual transmission. I definitely want to add some type of lift but my biggest concern is the stock wheels. What’s the largest tire height and width I can get away with on stock Oscar Mike wheels without spacers?
3:21 gears are going to have you way down on power for acceleration with taller tires. I’d try the stock setup out there first. You might be surprised.

You do not need a lift and big tires for dunes. Clearance and flex are pretty much non-issues. What you really need is 3.73 gears (for torque multiplication) and lockers (for traction). Drop your tire pressure (for floatation) and go.

The 3:21 gearing is worthless for any off-road activity and will likely be the most expensive upgrade you'll need for the dunes. Not sugar-coating it and not going to BS you- you'll need a new gear.

The tallest tire you can put on your 17 x 7.5" wheels is a 315 (35") and the max width is a 11.5."

Ok, if I’m learning correctly my
3.21(old Gear Ratio) x 33.8
(New Tire Size) / 31.5(Old Tire Size)
= 3.44(New Ratio) rounded up 3.73 gears, however if I go up to 4.10 gears I’ll be good from 33 to 35” tires. Will I have to change the carrier going from 3.21 to 4.10 ?
Your input is appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, if I’m learning correctly my
3.21(old Gear Ratio) x 33.8
(New Tire Size) / 31.5(Old Tire Size)
= 3.44(New Ratio) rounded up 3.73 gears, however if I go up to 4.10 gears I’ll be good from 33 to 36” tires. Will I have to change the carrier going from 3.21 to 4.10 ?
Your input is appreciated
Thanks

Do you know what front axle you have? The rear Dana 44 with 4.10's will work with 3.73 and down carrier. Dana 30 doesn't use thick cut gears like the 44. So I think you would need a 3.73 and up front carrier. Someone else might have to chime in because I'm honestly not 100% sure on the Dana 30.