Lift Question

megantrayy

First post kind of nervous šŸ˜¬ Iā€™m sort of new to Jeep mods so I was looking for some advice, go easy on me lol

When I first got my Jeep a few years ago I put a 3.5ā€ Rubicon Express lift on it (which I love and have had no problems with). Iā€™ve been wanting to possibly go up between 1.5-2.5 more inches, because I feel like my heavy bumpers give it some sag. Compared to my brothers Jeep with the same lift on it, his still sits higher but he doesnā€™t have bumpers.

Iā€™m sure getting a whole new lift kit would be the best way. But money lol. So ultimately my question here would be is it possible to use lift spacers to give me those couple extra inches Iā€™m looking for? I believe my brake lines were extended when I got the first lift, but those could be extended again if need be. Iā€™m just worried about the shocks being long enough. Do any problems come from spacers? Are they ok for off road flexing situations? Thanks for any advice!

First post kind of nervous šŸ˜¬ Iā€™m sort of new to Jeep mods so I was looking for some advice, go easy on me lol

When I first got my Jeep a few years ago I put a 3.5ā€ Rubicon Express lift on it (which I love and have had no problems with). Iā€™ve been wanting to possibly go up between 1.5-2.5 more inches, because I feel like my heavy bumpers give it some sag. Compared to my brothers Jeep with the same lift on it, his still sits higher but he doesnā€™t have bumpers.

Iā€™m sure getting a whole new lift kit would be the best way. But money lol. So ultimately my question here would be is it possible to use lift spacers to give me those couple extra inches Iā€™m looking for? I believe my brake lines were extended when I got the first lift, but those could be extended again if need be. Iā€™m just worried about the shocks being long enough. Do any problems come from spacers? Are they ok for off road flexing situations? Thanks for any advice!

Don't worry about it, we all started out knowing next to nothing. Some have just been at it longer than others is all.

There are a number of problems lifting above 3". Your driveshaft angles to the differentials get really bad above 3", your draglink and trackbar geometry get messed up unless you intall a draglink flip, your steering caster goes all to hell, your axles will shift inwards and to the driver side which means you need adjustable track bars and adjustable control arms. In other words: expensive.

Now that's actual lift, which is not necessarily the lift you'll get with the same size spring. That's what you're seeing now. You installed a 3.5" lift, but due to weight and that manufacturer's springs, you're not actually getting 3.5".

Good news is you can probably get away with just replacing the springs. A set of good springs would only be about $400.

I'd give Clayton Offroad a call, explain your build and how much lift you actually want on it, and they could guide you on what size springs to get that would take into account your heavy bumpers.

IMHO I'd stick to an actual lift of 3" or less, but i don't know what size tires you're running either. What size springs you need to get an actual 3"...I dunno.

Don't worry about it, we all started out knowing next to nothing. Some have just been at it longer than others is all.

There are a number of problems lifting above 3". Your driveshaft angles to the differentials get really bad above 3", your draglink and trackbar geometry get messed up unless you intall a draglink flip, your steering caster goes all to hell, your axles will shift inwards and to the driver side which means you need adjustable track bars and adjustable control arms. In other words: expensive.

Now that's actual lift, which is not necessarily the lift you'll get with the same size spring. That's what you're seeing now. You installed a 3.5" lift, but due to weight and that manufacturer's springs, you're not actually getting 3.5".

Good news is you can probably get away with just replacing the springs. A set of good springs would only be about $400.

I'd give Clayton Offroad a call, explain your build and how much lift you actually want on it, and they could guide you on what size springs to get that would take into account your heavy bumpers.

IMHO I'd stick to an actual lift of 3" or less, but i don't know what size tires you're running either. What size springs you need to get an actual 3"...I dunno.
Thanks for the advice! Iā€™m running 35ā€ Toyo Open Country MTs. But Iā€™d rather not run into anymore problems with going taller, and like you explained - it gets expensive. Iā€™ll look into the springs a little bit more.

Reactions: mrjp and Vman
Thanks for the advice! Iā€™m running 35ā€ Toyo Open Country MTs. But Iā€™d rather not run into anymore problems with going taller, and like you explained - it gets expensive. Iā€™ll look into the springs a little bit more.

2.5" to 3" of actual lift is the sweet spot with 35's in terms of cost and performance.

With some flat fenders and 2.5" lift running 35's I have zero problems doing silly stuff. i don't do huge rocks, but it's great for anything you don't need 37's or 40's to get over.