Leveling kit vs. lift

Hndlong

I don’t care for the look of the factory rake and was looking into a leveling kit. Since I’m going to be in there dealing with leveling spacers I’m curious on what size in the front achieves a true leveling or if I’m better off putting a little lift to it as well. Which is more bang for my buck basically. This is a daily and will not be rock crawled often so I don’t really want to change it’s driving performance.

You could get a Terraflex 2” leveling kit and don’t install the rear spacer. It’ll sit level on a budget

...OR get a 2.5” Overland lift from Clayton off-road!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hndlong and mrjp
You could get a Terraflex 2” leveling kit and don’t install the rear spacer. It’ll sit level on a budget

I was thinking just 2” spacers in the front would help level it out but wasn’t sure if it was too much or too little to achieve balance.

This doesn't track for me. If you get a leveling kit you are going to have to install all the components or it will not be level.

I had the 1.5 teraflex leveling kit (before moving up to a 2.5inch lift) and was happy with it. You were given the option of not putting in one of the front pucks if you wanted to maintain the rake. It wasn't a climb into the vehicle. You should be good with stock shocks as well.

Not putting the pucks in the rear of a leveling kit would mean a reverse rake, I'm sure we've all seen those on the road.

Reactions: Danarch and 72c10
This doesn't track for me. If you get a leveling kit you are going to have to install all the components or it will not be level.

I had the 1.5 teraflex leveling kit (before moving up to a 2.5inch lift) and was happy with it. You were given the option of not putting in one of the front pucks if you wanted to maintain the rake. It wasn't a climb into the vehicle. You should be good with stock shocks as well.

Not putting the pucks in the rear of a leveling kit would mean a reverse rake, I'm sure we've all seen those on the road.
They put all the pucks (2 front/1 rear) in mine. I still have a rake (which I don't mind) that's 1" higher in the rear.

I was thinking just 2” spacers in the front would help level it out but wasn’t sure if it was too much or too little to achieve balance.

After MacGuyver's response to my post, he has a point that I should've thought of. Know how much you need to get level and research or inquire about the particular kit you're gonna get. When I told my install guy that I wanted a Terraflex 2" leveling kit, he knew the kit and did tell me that installing it would still give me a slight rake on the Jeep after installing the 2" front and 1" rear pucks. Sure as shit, I'm 1" higher in the rear. So, know how much you need to get level/balanced and know what the particular kit is gonna do for you. If you still have a rake.... use sandbags :LOL:

Reactions: Duster and Hndlong
After MacGuyver's response to my post, he has a point that I should've thought of. Know how much you need to get level and research or inquire about the particular kit you're gonna get. When I told my install guy that I wanted a Terraflex 2" leveling kit, he knew the kit and did tell me that installing it would still give me a slight rake on the Jeep after installing the 2" front and 1" rear pucks. Sure as shit, I'm 1" higher in the rear. So, know how much you need to get level/balanced and know what the particular kit is gonna do for you. If you still have a rake.... use sandbags :LOL:
Would you think if you just did the 2” in the front and skipped the 1” rear you would achieve “level” and gotten rid of the rake?

Would you think if you just did the 2” in the front and skipped the 1” rear you would achieve “level” and gotten rid of the rake?
It would’ve on mine. I’m 1” higher in the rear right now with all pucks installed. My friend at the shop that installed it at the time prior to install that installing this 2” Terraflex BB would do that. Hind sight, I don’t load down or pull a trailer much, part of me wishes I told him to leave it off. I’m still happy with the slight rake though.

Reactions: Hndlong
It would’ve on mine. I’m 1” higher in the rear right now with all pucks installed. My friend at the shop that installed it at the time prior to install that installing this 2” Terraflex BB would do that. Hind sight, I don’t load down or pull a trailer much, part of me wishes I told him to leave it off. I’m still happy with the slight rake though.
This is odd to me.

The leveling kit I used told me what to install to achieve 'level'. I could leave off one in the front to keep the rake and install all to level it. Otherwise it's just a lift kit and not a leveling kit.

It was Teraflex... oh well.

Depends on whether you're looking at rake based on the gap between the tire and fender or if you want the frame to be level. Whichever is your concern, fill the gas tank, load up with the gear you normally carry, and then measure the gap. The difference between the front and rear measurements will indicate the size spacer you need to level. If you're looking for a precise ride height, use spacers as springs will provide some variability in lift depending on how your jeep is equipped. For example, brand S lift springs provided 1" more than rated. Brand M provided 2" over the rated lift height. I don't carry much gear in either my JKU or JK so I have the rear height set 1/2" higher than front when measured at the pinch seam.

Reactions: Hndlong
Depends on whether you're looking at rake based on the gap between the tire and fender or if you want the frame to be level. Whichever is your concern, fill the gas tank, load up with the gear you normally carry, and then measure the gap. The difference between the front and rear measurements will indicate the size spacer you need to level. If you're looking for a precise ride height, use spacers as springs will provide some variability in lift depending on how your jeep is equipped. For example, brand S lift springs provided 1" more than rated. Brand M provided 2" over the rated lift height. I don't carry much gear in either my JKU or JK so I have the rear height set 1/2" higher than front when measured at the pinch seam.
Forgot about the unreliability of springs and height.

Yep. That rake has a purpose, silly as it looks. Heavier cargo will be in the back and that rake allows the drivers outlook to remain relatively unchanged. Nothing like hauling half a ton of wood stoves over the Sierra in a quarter-ton Foord with the hood obscuring your view and minor bumps causing the steering to feel squirmy.

Reactions: mrjp
The rake is also for fuel efficiency I believe.
With the boxy shape of the Wrangler, raising the back would probably actually increase the size of the turbulent area immediately behind the vehicle when it is in motion, which is a major source of drag. It might do as you suggest, but you'ld have to model the hydrodynamics of air flow at various speeds. I suspect that at any sane speed it would make very little difference in your mileage.

Reactions: Sawman