LED headlights and radio static

Sid68

I’ve got a 2010 jk that came from Canada. I put led headlights in and now when my drl’s turn on, my radio gets full of static. I’ve been told that I need to find a “hacker” because there’s no switch, fuse or relay to turn them off they’re turned on by the computer... HELP!!!

is it just the DRLs or when the headlights are on as well?

Can you link the lights for us?

You have to change the settings in the computer to affect DRLs, there are a number of code readers/ like THIS ONE I bought a few years ago that use your cell phone and blue tooth. There are probably better ones.

Here is an DIY for anti flicker devices

I don't think anti flicker are the same as a can bus, though I could be wrong. The ones I put on my vehicle specifically said that the canbus was built in, and they are some no name cheap ones. And while the headlights and their halos work just fine, they came with fog lights that have a halo that mess with my radio, so I unplugged that part.

So you’re saying that I should be able to shut off the drl’s with one of those cheap scanners?

Yep, here is a vid about the app I use. Get a scanner that works with it.

I don't remember if I had to buy a license to make adjustments or not. I think they are $22 and it fully unlocks the app. I fully unlocked it for my Jeep awhile back.

This does not appear to be them price gouging as all apps of this type require you to purchase a license of some sort by VIN to fully unlock and make changes beyond checking and clearing faults. All that i've seen anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daddyo2373
I ran into this problem of radio reception after installing LED headlights. I tried ferrite chokes but, they didn't help resolve the issue at all. I had to move the antenna to the rear of the vehicle which helped a lot but, didn't completely fix the problem.

Question for you guys in the know:
Does the static interference on the radio normally associated with LED lights occur with terrestrial radio, satellite radio or both? Just curious whether anyone has encountered it with Sirius/XM or other satellite signals?

Yep, here is a vid about the app I use. Get a scanner that works with it.

I don't remember if I had to buy a license to make adjustments or not. I think they are $22 and it fully unlocks the app. I fully unlocked it for my Jeep awhile back.

This does not appear to be them price gouging as all apps of this type require you to purchase a license of some sort by VIN to fully unlock and make changes beyond checking and clearing faults. All that i've seen anyway.
Yes, you do have to pay around $20 per VIN, but it is worth it.

Question for you guys in the know:
Does the static interference on the radio normally associated with LED lights occur with terrestrial radio, satellite radio or both? Just curious whether anyone has encountered it with Sirius/XM or other satellite signals?
I can't give you a direct answer, but the problem is that cheap LEDs emit a lot of electromagnetic noise. All LEDs do, but cheap ones are not shielded. That is a reason LEDs can be super expensive, other than paying for a brand which is a big factor as well.

Reactions: mrjp