LED DRL connection question

Acxman

JK Enthusiast
I have 2008 jk. I am installing Xprite led headlights. All the videos and instructions I see say to run the day time running lights to the fuse box. My question is……why can’t I just tap the DRLs to the side marker lights ? Seems it would be easier then running wires all the way to the fuse box ??

I have 2008 jk. I am installing Xprite led headlights. All the videos and instructions I see say to run the day time running lights to the fuse box. My question is……why can’t I just tap the DRLs to the side marker lights ? Seems it would be easier then running wires all the way to the fuse box ??
You can. As long as you first check the draws of each of the lights and make sure you're not going to overload the circuit. Bear in mind that you really shouldn't just swap in a bigger fuse. The wiring is also a limiting factor. Swapping in a bigger fuse can lead to the wires overheating. Then fires start...

Reactions: tJKrider
The wiring is also a limiting factor
Yes! Very important - fuses are there to protect against the wiring being overloaded and catching fire. Sure it protects the load somewhat too, but typically the wire is the next weakest link...

Back in the old days, you could have easily ‘just tapped into’ another circuit, (such as the running lights) w/o any issue aside from potential wire size/current limitations and fuse ratings (which were almost always over rated for safety).

I suspect the issue that you may run into with ‘today’s automotive electrical systems’ is that they have become increasingly more complicated in their attempt to ‘make things easier for the consumer’.

This means lighting circuits are now computer controlled and monitored for load/current changes to alert us to abnormal operations, burned out bulbs, etc.

By tapping your LED DRL components into the existing running light circuit, you are adding a parallel component to the existing load, which decreases the overall load (as opposed to a series circuit which would increase the overall load).
The decreased load, MAY be different enough that the computer sees this as a blown bulb and it will act accordingly (based upon circuit design parameters).

A good example of this condition is when someone adds an LED turn signal lamp in place of the traditional (original) incandescent lamp… the system measures the reduced load and believes there is a blown bulb; hence the frequent “hyper-flash” that so many have dealt with (which typically requires the addition of external load resistors, and/or different flasher modules to correct).

BTW, many of the newer (more expensive) LED lamps out today have this additional resistance already built into their design, and for basic automotive circuits, this is sufficient to eliminate the hyper flash. Others (think CANBUS), are more complex and may still not function as expected after an LED “upgrade”.

Since the running lights don’t flash, this likely won’t be a problem, but I’ll bet the RL circuit is monitored by the ECU/PCM, and you could get a fault indicator or a code due to the reduced load you created by adding the parallel device.

In short, you are far better off powering your DRL’s from a specific power feed than you are tapping into another circuit.

I added DRL’s to our ‘03, and was able to make them function as intended with the addition of a simple DRL module, which monitors the voltage at the battery, shutting the lights off when the voltage drops below about 13-14 VDC.

This device is basically creating a switched feed when the engine is running and battery voltage exceeds a specified threshold (say 13.8 VDC), making it very similar to an ignition controlled circuit, without the hassle of tying into an existing circuit.

You can buy the DRL module from Amazon, eBay, etc for about $10.

When you shut off the vehicle, the alternator stops charging the battery and the residual voltage drops below the threshold (predefined by the DRL module) within about 20-30 seconds. This leaves your DRL’s illuminated until the module detects the drop, then it shuts them off.

I know this was a bit long, but it is the right way to install DRL’s on a vehicle that didn’t come with them from the factory.

Reactions: tJKrider
If I were wiring a set of DRLs, I'd probably just spend a bit of time with a multimeter or test light poking around the unused fuse slots. There are several available. When I installed a Smart Mirror in my JKUR I found that M9 was open and provided switched power. You can buy a 12v test light for less than $10.

A good example of this condition is when someone adds an LED turn signal lamp in place of the traditional (original) incandescent lamp… the system measures the reduced load and believes there is a blown bulb; hence the frequent “hyper-flash” that so many have dealt with (which typically requires the addition of external load resistors, and/or different flasher modules to correct).
Funny story... We had a Bronco from the first year of production that was misbuilt with LED tail lights. No one caught this, including me when I picked it up... Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't and acted like a blown bulb. I finally looked at them a bit closer and realized what was going on...

Reactions: WestCoastDan