Large chunks in differential fluid (no whine)

66K here, and I had to do my front axle seals as well as replace the spider gears. Seems quite common for the casting of the spider gears to crack. Though, I did not have to actually replace them because there was no whining, and no noise or meshing issues, I just did it for good measure. Every generation of Wrangler had their flaws, unfortunately.

@HDRyder Ive been told an experienced off-roaders here in the NE that those "seals" are a gimmick. Water and grit still gets past and builds up in the axel tubes. Keeps rocks out but the seals at the pumping are what keeps the gear oil in and clean. When grit gets trapped and the water escapes, you get a clot of crud in the axel tubes. Happened to me.
Changed the diff oil last week on my 2017 JK. 50k miles, metal on the mag plug. Spider gears need replacing. Sounds like a very common problem. Going to change out with a different type that doesn’t have spider gears or clutch pack. Very disappointed that a recall has not been issued. Don’t buy a jeep with trac lock!

Reactions: Threepointsix