JScan with a Bluetooth OBDII connector

dgard1

I see and read a lot of posts that mention a " Jscan with a Bluetooth OBDII".... what is the purpose and/or uses for this device?
I will be installing an aftermarket radio and separate rear view camera in a few weeks. Is there any use for this device related to this installation? Thank you for the words of wisdom in advance. dgard1.

Don't confuse using Bluetooth with radio on this.

The OBDII port is how you pull data from the Jeep computer. I bought a small adapter from the link below that @Chris suggest.

1. You plug this into the OBDII port.
2. You download the JSCAN app.
3. You connect (via bluetooth) to the adapter, and you can see detailed information about your Jeep. Live data as you drive, exact RPM and MPH, temperature exactly.
You can also change settings like tire size to make the speedometer work accurately.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/?tag=jkforum-20

Reactions: Chris
The uses for the general population would be to check and clear codes so you know what is going on when the check engine light comes on.

The advanced use applications are numerous. I've used mine to set the tire size on the jeep when I moved up to 33" tires. For me it was so the speedometer read correctly, but this is super important if you have an automatic because that is what the transmission uses for shift points.
It also allows you to change a number of other settings controlled by the computer. DRL settings, tire pressure sensor, engine idle speed, etc.

I think you can clear codes without a license, but to make changes to the system you need to buy one, I think they are about $25 in app and tied to the VIN. If you are a home mechanic this is an amazing tool and well worth the money. While there are some radio settings in the app I don't know that it would be of any use for you.

The main thing you will have need is the right canbus for your jeep and radio. If you have a premium sound system you need the canbus to interface with the amp, if you have steering wheel controls you need one that allows that.

There are some the allow both but then fade doesn't function with the amp, but then others do. That is the most annoying part of a radio install.

Don't confuse using Bluetooth with radio on this.

The OBDII port is how you pull data from the Jeep computer. I bought a small adapter from the link below that @Chris suggest.

1. You plug this into the OBDII port.
2. You download the JSCAN app.
3. You connect (via bluetooth) to the adapter, and you can see detailed information about your Jeep. Live data as you drive, exact RPM and MPH, temperature exactly.
You can also change settings like tire size to make the speedometer work accurately.

X2 to this.

The only thing I would add is that if you want to get full access (which is 100% worth it), you need to pay for a license which is linked to your VIN number. You do this through the app when it connects to your vehicle for the first time. I believe it's something like $17, but once done, you can unlock all of the features of the app and use it fully unlocked, but only on your vehicle. If you want to use it on another vehicle, you have to buy another license.

And yes, in order to connect to your vehicle, you need this Bluetooth adapter:

Among other features you can unlock the connection of a back up camera on to the OEM radio with a 6.5" screen. This way you don't need to pay the dealer to flash it.

Among other features you can unlock the connection of a back up camera on to the OEM radio with a 6.5" screen. This way you don't need to pay the dealer to flash it.

This is exactly what I have in mind. Anyone know if the superchips trail dash & JSCAN will break things. I will just use it for the backup camera activation & disconnect!