Jscan tool

SteveF

U.S. Coast Guard Retired
Supporting Member
When I purchase the license for my VIN is the license attached to my phone via the app or is it attached to the jscan tool so if I purchased a new phone the tool would still work. My axle is getting new gears next week and the shop is going to reprogram the jeep for the new 4.56 gears.
Also apparently I have an open differential, is it a good idea to have it switched to a posi traction? Will it interfere with the traction control feature?

When I purchase the license for my VIN is the license attached to my phone via the app or is it attached to the jscan tool so if I purchased a new phone the tool would still work. My axle is getting new gears next week and the shop is going to reprogram the jeep for the new 4.56 gears.
Also apparently I have an open differential, is it a good idea to have it switched to a posi traction? Will it interfere with the traction control feature?
I would now is the time. I like the ARB locker. They are nice but a bit pricey

I believe the JScan license is tied to your account but you have X number of VINs associated with it. I have JScan on my phone and on my android head unit. I have a "jeep only" Gmail account for the HU and I bought JScan under that account.

A selectable locker is usually preferred to a limited slip. I have the factory limited slip and when I eventually do gears I will be going selectable locker. One issue with the LSD seems to be chipped spider gears in the factory setup. Plus, clutch packs wear out on the LSD.

Reactions: Daddyo2373
With the amount of off road time I do it just doesn't justify the additional costs

Reactions: mrjp
So I can't just leave the device plugged into the jeep so the mechanic can make the changes himself?

So I can't just leave the device plugged into the jeep so the mechanic can make the changes himself?
The mechanic, if he says he can make the changes, will likely use a plug-in device. Of course, you'll want to check his work with your own device afterwards.

Keep in mind that you have a bluetooth connection between your phone and the dongle and that leaving the dongle plugged into the OBD port may provide an opportunity for someone to access your phone.

There are documented security concerns with OBD dongles:

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/sec20summer_wen_prepub.pdf

https://www.databreachtoday.asia/risks-posed-by-wireless-automotive-dongles-a-14806

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryD and mrjp
Talk with the shop and ask how they were going to adjust the computer. Some places will add on the price of an AEV ProCal or similiar and will change it with "your" new calibrator. If they go that route, let them know you have this and save the extra expense. Just a thought.

Reactions: mrjp and SteveF
I left my ODB plugged in yesterday when we went out for dinner as I monitoring the wheel speed sensors. When we went back out after dinner I had to unplug and plug the bluetooth OBD device as it wouldn’t work, the red light wasn‘t even on. I am thinking you shouldn’t have to unplug it and plug it back in every time.

I left my ODB plugged in yesterday when we went out for dinner as I monitoring the wheel speed sensors. When we went back out after dinner I had to unplug and plug the bluetooth OBD device as it wouldn’t work, the red light wasn‘t even on. I am thinking you shouldn’t have to unplug it and plug it back in every time.
My bluetooth OBD device does the same thing. it like it just shuts down if not in use.