jku coolant/engine temp high

Maxjuice18

Having some minor issues with my 2016 jku, 96k miles, stock suspension running 33's. A few days ago I noticed that my temp gauge was fluctuating pretty significantly to past the 3/4 line, my fan was running very high, and that my coolant temp was up in the 240-250 range doing normal driving (50-65mph), so I did some research and had the thermostat changed, they also put in a new air filter, and made sure all fluids were topped off. Now, the temp gauge isn't going past half, and the coolant temp isnt going past 224, but that still seems a little bit high, the fan is still coming on every single time I drive (which if I remember correctly didn't happen before this all started), and even on a cool 60 degree morning with normal highway driving at about 70 mph, the coolant temp is sitting at 224, is this something to be concerned about??

Having some minor issues with my 2016 jku, 96k miles, stock suspension running 33's. A few days ago I noticed that my temp gauge was fluctuating pretty significantly to past the 3/4 line, my fan was running very high, and that my coolant temp was up in the 240-250 range doing normal driving (50-65mph), so I did some research and had the thermostat changed, they also put in a new air filter, and made sure all fluids were topped off. Now, the temp gauge isn't going past half, and the coolant temp isnt going past 224, but that still seems a little bit high, the fan is still coming on every single time I drive (which if I remember correctly didn't happen before this all started), and even on a cool 60 degree morning with normal highway driving at about 70 mph, the coolant temp is sitting at 224, is this something to be concerned about??

Are you sure all the air is burped out of the cooling system? Did you raise the front up higher than the rear with cap off and idling, adding coolant as needed? Did you put the proper coolant back in?

Reactions: BigAL07
Are you sure all the air is burped out of the cooling system? Did you raise the front up higher than the rear with cap off and idling, adding coolant as needed? Did you put the proper coolant back in?
Im not sure, I had a shop do the work to it. Is that something I could do pretty easily by myself?

Im not sure, I had a shop do the work to it. Is that something I could do pretty easily by myself?

Yes if you have a jack to jack the front of the Jeep up at least 6" or a small hill to drive the front onto.

Make sure the coolant isn't hot when removing the cap.

Reactions: BigAL07
If you don't have a jack, drive the front end up on a wheel stop in a parking lot. It's a Wrangler. If it can't do that, you've got other problems...

Once it's up and cool, take the radiator cap off. Top off the fluid. Start it up and let it idle. Top off the fluid as needed till it's not getting any more bubbles. Let it keep idling for 15-20 minutes after it's warm. I also think it's a good idea to turn the heater on high to make sure you burp the heater core as well.