JK seems to misfire in all gears at different speeds

chrs93

My JK seems to miss in all gears at different speeds when low in RPM range (between 1000-2000). On flat ground and low RPM seems fine, but put motor under any load (going up hill, etc.) and it will jerk or surge. If I get into it and get it to down shift and keep above 2000 rpm's it seems fine, but it regularly die at idle as well. Took it to dealer. No codes, data links between all modules were good. I'm not sure if the two issues are related, but I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Jeep info below.

2012 Unlimited sport
3.6L engine
Automatic
2.5 lift
33" tires

Try another dealership, may get lucky with a seasoned tech. I do not have an auto, can not believe it is throwing no codes. Is your MIL light on at the dash?

Reactions: Chris
My JK seems to miss in all gears at different speeds when low in RPM range (between 1000-2000). On flat ground and low RPM seems fine, but put motor under any load (going up hill, etc.) and it will jerk or surge. If I get into it and get it to down shift and keep above 2000 rpm's it seems fine, but it regularly die at idle as well. Took it to dealer. No codes, data links between all modules were good. I'm not sure if the two issues are related, but I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Jeep info below.

2012 Unlimited sport
3.6L engine
Automatic
2.5 lift
33" tires
If you have an OBD II reader, are there any pertinent codes reported? Once upon a time I would have suggested getting out a timing light and checking the timing. These days I believe the timing is electronically controlled, so that would be pointless.

Reactions: mrjp
Sounds like you might have issues with your torque converter. How many miles? Has the transmission ever been serviced?
Check trans fluid. Make sure level is good and is a good red color.

Reactions: mrjp

2012 Unlimited sport
3.6L engine
Automatic
2.5 lift
33" tires

Could be a fuel related issue too.

So you had the speedometer adjusted when the new tires got put on? Shift points are dependent on speedometer. Also, when is the last time you had the trans oil changed?

couple things to check that should be cheap.