JK resale value

lib01

Hey yall! I am new to the fourm!

After realistically thinking about my finanical situation as a college student I have decided (maybe, maybe not) it might be time to part with my Jeep. The gas is chewing me up and not sure if I would be able to pay insurance once off my parents payroll. I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4 Door (Copperhead Pearlcoat) and I have no clue how to determine its value correctly. I’ve read that too many mods can possibly decrease value, which luckily I don’t have. And then unique colors help hold value. I’ve seen black and white jeeps (mostly stock) with same miledge ranging from 22k-26k.

• 96,000 miles
  • No accidents
  • All stock bumpers
  • 33” Half off road tires less than a year old
  • No stains or tears in the interior, detailed myself and she is beautiful
  • Somewhat new soft top and frame
  • Sound bar speakers have been replaced with a pair from Mopar
  • 2 owners
  • No big modifications
  • Hasn’t been pushed too hard anywhere, just light off roading a few times
  • ONE semi signicant wound on top of hood close to windshield, nanny kids decorated my car and used marine expoxy to glue snowman to car. It has been sanded back down and is a circle about 3 inches in diameter. Barely noticeable when standing in front.

Would like to thank anyone who can help me!! I really don’t want to let her go, she was my first car and the only car I can see myself driving. Her name is “Rusty” :)

So in the second picture that is the old top we originally got with her 2 years ago.

103662F9-3C2F-457D-A613-ED73BF409DAD.jpeg

30E9506F-09CE-4EE1-8603-DE2469A02A06.jpeg

I'd find the KBB for it and then try to figure out how much the items cost that aren't stock. Then the nonstock items total add 2/3 of that amount to the KBB price, you can always come down. I think it would be a good selling point to list on a piece of paper what all the items are and the Brand names with the new price, including tires and wheels if they aren't stock.

My Jk had thousands of Dollars in upgrades and it would have been nice to know everything that was done , most was visible right away.

Pull up Craigslist and cars.com and look what they are selling for in your area. That will give you a good starting point.

Yep, this is where I always start personally. Also see how long they have been listed for. If they've been listed for a long time, it usually means they are priced too high or something is wrong with them.

Reactions: Islander and mrjp
That JKU is $25-28k all day in my neck of the woods. No inventory around here to buy unless you want to drive to Raleigh and overpay in the big city, good color and a good look.

I congratulate you as a college student for being responsible to paying your debts and looking to the future. Many people, young and old, can't see past their immediate enjoyment and get way to deep into debt. I don't know all your financial details, so in the end you need to make your own decisions. So don't let me talk you into keeping your Jeep if that is not the best option for you. But here is something else to consider. Resale value, quality of life, time without a Jeep.

Lets assume you can sell your Jeep for $25,000. What are you going to do with that money. Will it all go into a new car or will you buy a cheap car and invest the difference? If you drop the whole $25,000 on a new car, what do you think that care will be worth in 10 years? Most don't hold much value in the long run. I expect the car might be worth $12-$15,000. If you can buy a cheap car for say $15,000+/- and invest the other $10,000 in a S&P 500 index fund. Then in 10 years you should have a fund worth about $20,000 but your car will need replacing.

Now lets consider what happens if you keep the Jeep. You will definetly pay more for gas. But how many miles a year do you drive and how much more will the fuel cost? If you drive 15,000 miles a year and get 15 mpg you will burn up 1000 gals of gas. A small car might be able to do twice that. So it will use 500gals. At $2.50 per gallon the jeep will cost $1,250 more per year in fuel. That does add up over a 10 year period. As far as insurance, you may or may not pay more for insurance. New cars are expensive to insure. Jeeps are not that bad. You need to call your insurance guy to see how much it cost to insure the car you are looking at compared to the Jeeps insurance for similar coverage. Also what will the Jeep be worth at the end of 10 years. Jeeps hold their value exceedingly well. I expect your Jeep will be still be worth $18-$20,000 in 10 years. Certainly it will be worth more than any car you could purchase with the full amount from the Jeep. In short what I am saying is you need to figure our your full cost of ownership for each vehicle over the next 10 years. Don't look at only gas mileage. Look at all items from gas to maintenance cost, to insurance to resale.

Finally you need to consider just how much you like your Jeep and how often you get offroad. If you never get off road and a fun car can provide all your driving entertainment, then maybe its a good move. If you really enjoy getting out into the woods with your Jeep and you think that you would be looking for a new jeep again within 5 years, then you might want to think twice about selling your Jeep. Unless your patient with buying and selling vehicles, it can be quite expensive to switch vehicles and you might be better off just keeping the Jeep and finding other ways to cut down on expenses over the next 5 years.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes its good to sell a vehicle to meet certain needs for the time. There will always be other jeeps out there if you want one again in the future. I'm just advising to consider all cost of car ownership as well as the joy that you get in driving the vehicle before you make that decision. Its easy to get excited about saving all that money on gas and having a new car. But often Jeep ownership gets into your blood and you will always want one. So count all the cost before you move to quickly. It sounds like you are already doing this. And to that I say congratulations. You will do well in life.

Good looking Jeep by the way. I LOVE that color.

Last edited:
Hey yall! I am new to the fourm!

After realistically thinking about my finanical situation as a college student I have decided (maybe, maybe not) it might be time to part with my Jeep. The gas is chewing me up and not sure if I would be able to pay insurance once off my parents payroll. I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4 Door (Copperhead Pearlcoat) and I have no clue how to determine its value correctly. I’ve read that too many mods can possibly decrease value, which luckily I don’t have. And then unique colors help hold value. I’ve seen black and white jeeps (mostly stock) with same miledge ranging from 22k-26k.

• 96,000 miles
  • No accidents
  • All stock bumpers
  • 33” Half off road tires less than a year old
  • No stains or tears in the interior, detailed myself and she is beautiful
  • Somewhat new soft top and frame
  • Sound bar speakers have been replaced with a pair from Mopar
  • 2 owners
  • No big modifications
  • Hasn’t been pushed too hard anywhere, just light off roading a few times
  • ONE semi signicant wound on top of hood close to windshield, nanny kids decorated my car and used marine expoxy to glue snowman to car. It has been sanded back down and is a circle about 3 inches in diameter. Barely noticeable when standing in front.

Would like to thank anyone who can help me!! I really don’t want to let her go, she was my first car and the only car I can see myself driving. Her name is “Rusty” :)
Nice looking Jeep. For some perspective I just bought a totally stock 2017 Willys JKU, Chrysler certified, one owner vehicle, with 39k miles, hardtop clean Carfax and 5 brand new BF Goodrich tires for $28,700 from a dealer in the Midwest. Doesn't look like it's been offroad.

Private individual in my area had a bare bones 2017 JKU (like the crank windows) with 45k miles, but the added a ton of extra stuff, lifted, aftermarket leather interior, new bumpers, winch (but said they never had it off road), both tops LED lights. The were asking $34k. After maybe 3 months came down to $31k. I'm thinking they make need to come down more (maybe a lot). I would agree with your comment too many mods may not decrease the value but in most cases don't add to it significantly since many of them are personal taste/need. So to get value out of them when selling the buyer has to like the same stuff as the seller.

Agree with others take a look at Autotrader, or another one I found, Autoline which I personally like better.

Good luck selling it. I'm sure it's tough selling it, but you get the degree and first grown up job you can look at saving for another one. To be honest a $25k vehicle really isn't the best for someone in college unless you have very good funding from parents, savings, etc. Getting out of college debt free will look a lot nicer in 10 years than a Jeep. If you need a vehicle look at a $3k Civic until you get out.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
Another good place to check prices is Facebook marketplace. The good news is you do not have to be a Facebook member to go on and look at ads, only to respond to them. I find that too many people are too cheap to pay the five dollars to list it on craigslist. I see way more private sales listed there.

Reactions: mrjp