JK Radio Upgrade - Experience with Insane Audio?

FLCoastJK

I am looking to upgrade my 2016 JK. I was looking at the Insane Audio as they are plug and play, have direct support for Apple Car Play, keeps your steering wheel controls intact and are waterproof/dustproof.

I have always been a car audio guy, but have never seen this brand before. Perhaps because they cater to just the Jeeps?

Anyone have experience with these head units?

1647637840870.png

I am looking to upgrade my 2016 JK. I was looking at the Insane Audio as they are plug and play, have direct support for Apple Car Play, keeps your steering wheel controls intact and are waterproof/dustproof.

I have always been a car audio guy, but have never seen this brand before. Perhaps because they cater to just the Jeeps?

Anyone have experience with these head units?

View attachment 120740

All I know is they have good reviews. The Stinger Heigh10 is another great option.

If you're thinking about doing a head unit install, go over to Crutchfeld as it will tell you what you need to do the install....you'll need additional stuff to complete it.

The other thing to be aware of is if you have the premium sound system in your Jeep with the subwoofer in the back.

If you have that, you don't have 8 wires for front audio and rear audio in. You only have 4 wires for front audio in.

What you have to do is run your head unit rear speaker out's to your Jeeps front speaker in's. The head unit's front speaker out's are not used, and there are no wires for rear speaker in's on the Jeep.

If you don't, things like Bluetooth audio calls on your phone won't work. The person on the phone can hear you, but you won't be able to hear them.

Weirdly bluetooth audio from your phone will work fine though for music.

All I know is they have good reviews. The Stinger Heigh10 is another great option.

If you're thinking about doing a head unit install, go over to Crutchfeld as it will tell you what you need to do the install....you'll need additional stuff to complete it.

The other thing to be aware of is if you have the premium sound system in your Jeep with the subwoofer in the back.

If you have that, you don't have 8 wires for front audio and rear audio in. You only have 4 wires for front audio in.

What you have to do is run your head unit rear speaker out's to your Jeeps front speaker in's. The head unit's front speaker out's are not used, and there are no wires for rear speaker in's on the Jeep.

If you don't, things like Bluetooth audio calls on your phone won't work. The person on the phone can hear you, but you won't be able to hear them.

Weirdly bluetooth audio from your phone will work fine though for music.
Thanks for the input. I have seen a lot of posts around ways to do the head unit upgrade, but wanted somethin that was truly plug and play with no gotchas. I hadnt seen Heigh10, I will have to give that a look as well.

Thanks for the input. I have seen a lot of posts around ways to do the head unit upgrade, but wanted somethin that was truly plug and play with no gotchas. I hadnt seen Heigh10, I will have to give that a look as well.

Yeah Crutchfeld is your best resource. The problem is the additional parts you need to make it work with the CAN bus.

Good luck!

Reactions: mrjp and FLCoastJK
Reviews on the big sites like Amazon are basically useless these days, just like their "#1 best seller" junk. Crutchfield is the only place I trust to tell me something is plug and play. Because it rarely is.

Reviews on the big sites like Amazon are basically useless these days, just like their "#1 best seller" junk. Crutchfield is the only place I trust to tell me something is plug and play. Because it rarely is.

Exactly. One thing I do trust when deciding to buy something are Jeep video channels/forums that have a reputation to protect.

That's usually the first place I go looking....so the OP is doin' it right.

It's another reason I try to buy from US companies even though it costs a bit more. They stand behind their product more.

When it come to resellers, Crutchfield is a great place for sure.

Reactions: FLCoastJK