JK questions on potential purchase

buddcm81

Supporting Member
Hey all. I was a TJ owner for 15 years so I'm more familiar with some of the issues to look out for on one of those. I've been looking for a new Jeep for a while and have been considering a few JK's, but I have some questions after doing some initial research.

1) Engine: Is the 3.8 something to avoid altogether? Or is it inferior to the 3.6 the way some look at the 2.5 vs the 4.0? This won't be a daily driver. Just something for summer. So performance and total reliability aren't necessarily what I need. But, I don't waste my money either. Does a manual vs auto make any difference here as well?

2) Rust: Are JKs as susceptible to rust as the TJs? I've always had trouble distinguishing surface rust from a stay-away. Any input would be appreciated here. I'm waiting on some pics from the seller that I could post here for reference.

Thanks.

I guess it depends on what year of a 3.6 your looking at the early ones had issues. You don't hear of as much trouble with the 3.8's.

The frames are definetly better and if you put the frame plugs in to cover up the outside holes it will keep mud and salt out. I've never heard or anyone having a problem with a JK's frame.

Updating post with some pics of the frame. Again, lots of rust, but is this manageable or too far gone? Thanks!

frame1.jpgframe2.jpgrear.jpg

Alot more then mine has but it just looks like surface rust, you could always use it for a bargaining tool. If you was to clean it with a wire brush and then treat it so it's covered you would be ok.

What year and other info?
2010 2dr manual with 140k miles. Being sold in Illinois. Previously registered in Ohio. Priced at $14,700.

Looks to be a Mountain edition. Although it doesn't have the decals I've seen on other Mountain editions. Otherwise stock.

Looks to be a Mountain edition. Although it doesn't have the decals I've seen on other Mountain editions. Otherwise stock.

I think it sounds about $2-3,000 to high, the plus is the manual trans. But with the way all the used Vehicles that are selling they are going higher then normal. For a little over $5,000 more and only 77,000 miles and close to $10,000 in upgrades you could have my JK.

Reactions: FJQue
I think it sounds about $2-3,000 to high, the plus is the manual trans. But with the way all the used Vehicles that are selling they are going higher then normal. For a little over $5,000 more and only 77,000 miles and close to $10,000 in upgrades you could have my JK.

Greatly appreciate your insights. The prices have definitely kept me on the sidelines for a while now. 3.8s are priced noticeably lower than the 3.6s so that's what initially caught my eye.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
The 3.8 engine is only used up to I think 2012 then the 3.6 engine, for about the first 2-3 years on the 3.6's they had some issues with them.

I just bought an 2014 Oscar Mike down in Houston, absolutely NO rust with 148k miles on the 3.6 w leather and navigation for $18k. He is high. Jeeps are in a little slump, I just got through shopping for 2 weeks straight before buying this one. One thing to consider that i did not consider is that at above 100k miles which many of these soccer Mom mall crawlers have, pretty much every joint on the front end needs replacing. Mine is still sitting on jack stands from a week ago and I'm changing tires, shocks, joints, bearings, etc.. I have put another $2k in it already and that's with factory replacement parts, not upgrades aside form the shocks..

That JK sold last night. Oh well. Now looking at a 2008 JK Manual 2dr with 153k miles priced at $14k. Located in NC all its life so it looks to be rust free.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to travel to it. Does anyone have advice on virtual appointments, shipping, etc?

I keep telling myself I'm nuts for considering buying a Jeep without a test drive and independent inspection, but:

1) I know how Jeeps drive so it's not like I'd be turned off by the ride, noise or feel of the vehicle.
2) I'm prepared for something to be wrong with whatever I purchase at that age, mileage.

Are there services that offer remote car buying help? Someone I can hire to get eyes on the vehicle on my behalf? Would also appreciate any transport recommendations.

Thanks!

If you cannot view it or have someone look at it, make sure you buy from an owner. After a couple of days of talking, you can usually tell a lot about who they are and how they cared for the vehicle. You can use uShip or Shiply to get an idea of shipping costs. What I did about 2 months ago when i bought a Land Cruiser out of California was, used uShip to get me the name of a shipping broker such as: https://superdispatch.com/ All you really need is one broker, negotiate your price with them once you get an idea of what the uShip and Shiply costs are. For me, I did not want to spend more that $1,000. I think uShip and Shiply started out around $2,200 with their quotes, by the time it was all done I was getting $8-900 quotes. I ended up settling a little early for a broker for $1,000 but they will fight for your business, trust me. All you really need is one broker though, they will post your pick up point and drop-off point on a National board that all the truckers can see with the amount you'll pay. It may not make sense for one driver, but the next driver may be passing through your area and has 1 empty spot on his trailer, boom, that's when you get hooked up. Also, i did this during the height of the fuel costs rising so it was a little worse than it is now, good luck!

Reactions: buddcm81
Awesome. Thanks for the advice!

How would you handle the title/payment on a remote purchase from an owner? I've only ever bought in-person from a dealer.

That JK sold last night. Oh well. Now looking at a 2008 JK Manual 2dr with 153k miles priced at $14k. Located in NC all its life so it looks to be rust free.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to travel to it. Does anyone have advice on virtual appointments, shipping, etc?

I keep telling myself I'm nuts for considering buying a Jeep without a test drive and independent inspection, but:

1) I know how Jeeps drive so it's not like I'd be turned off by the ride, noise or feel of the vehicle.
2) I'm prepared for something to be wrong with whatever I purchase at that age, mileage.

Are there services that offer remote car buying help? Someone I can hire to get eyes on the vehicle on my behalf? Would also appreciate any transport recommendations.

Thanks!
Where in NC? I'm in NC and, if it's close enough, I might be able to go take a look.

Reactions: FJQue
I mean man, I've flown there & took possession & paid. And, I've also just basically talked to someone until I was "pretty sure" they put the title in a FedEx envelope. The latter seems kinda foolish but I have done it; I guess I should say I was burnt 1/4 of those times.. Once bought a Subaru with a DONESO manual transmission, used transmission cost as much as the car actually, no way they didn't know that. But that was a dealer, they are liars 92% of the time. That was old days, like 2004 or 5. Point being I guess, in retrospect, I could of done more research and realized those years were like the only years you did NOT want one of the manuals. If you have enough time in to feel good; go for it.

Also, I just bought my 1st JK, it's a 2014 with 149K miles. I flew to get it, like 2 weeks ago. My takeaway from this last experience on JEEPs is, ONLY buy from another JEEP guy, a real JEEP guy will tell you everything you want to know.

Reactions: mrjp and buddcm81
It's about 70 miles from me. I could easily go take a look, but not until Monday or Tuesday. Now, if you're comfortable enough to talk to the seller and he agrees to let me go look at it, I will, but that's also a sign the guy is fairly legit, so... it's up to you.

Or, it's a 16 hour drive from KC.

Reactions: mrjp
It's about 70 miles from me. I could easily go take a look, but not until Monday or Tuesday. Now, if you're comfortable enough to talk to the seller and he agrees to let me go look at it, I will, but that's also a sign the guy is fairly legit, so... it's up to you.

Or, it's a 16 hour drive from KC.
That's very generous and I greatly appreciate it. Hold off for now though. The seller wasn't responding to messages yesterday so he might have sold it. Let me reach out to him one more time and I'll let you know if I decide to take you up on your offer.

Reactions: mrjp