JK no start

heaven bound

2018 jk. 25,000 miles. Owned since 10k miles. Garage queen. Never mudded or trail driven. New battery. About once a month, turn the key, no start. All electrical works. Lights, radio, heater, etc. Wait 5 or 10 minutes, eventually it will start. I have recently noticed that if I get out and rock the Jeep with the transmission in park, it will start every time. Sounds like a bad sensor to me. Can somebody help me locate this sensor? Thank you for your help.

It's mad at you for abusing it.

Sensors don't care if you rock them. Bad grounds do. Or, as always, the crappy battery terminals that the JK comes with.

Reactions: heaven bound
2018 jk. 25,000 miles. Owned since 10k miles. Garage queen. Never mudded or trail driven. New battery. About once a month, turn the key, no start. All electrical works. Lights, radio, heater, etc. Wait 5 or 10 minutes, eventually it will start. I have recently noticed that if I get out and rock the Jeep with the transmission in park, it will start every time. Sounds like a bad sensor to me. Can somebody help me locate this sensor? Thank you for your help.

The neutral safety switch is in the transmission, next time try wiggling the shifter in Park and if that doesn't work then try it in neutral.

Reactions: Danarch
We have tried holding the ignition key on and going from park to neutral and back. Also shaking the shifter around to see if it was firmly engaged. Nothing but physically rocking the vehicle has worked.

We have tried holding the ignition key on and going from park to neutral and back. Also shaking the shifter around to see if it was firmly engaged. Nothing but physically rocking the vehicle has worked

You could talk to a transmission shop and see if they have a way to check the switch.

I’m guessing it’s something to do with the transmission safety switch. i assumed you’ve checked the battery cables / connections to make sure they are clean and secure?

My 07 did the exact same thing until I changed out the shifter cable bushings at the tranny and at the shifter. Adjusted the nut a little on the shifter end and has been good ever since. Thank BLACK JKU for that fix!🍺🍺

Reactions: BLACKJKU
My 07 did the exact same thing until I changed out the shifter cable bushings at the tranny and at the shifter. Adjusted the nut a little on the shifter end and has been good ever since. Thank BLACK JKU for that fix!🍺🍺

I actually thought of those bushings but at 80,000 miles I didn't think it would be that. But also being 5 years old it could also be the bushings.