JK mom car?

Js90

Random question- I’ve found many threads on a few different websites but all seem to be outdated. These days I’d like to think I’m a self taught pro at all things having to do with my Jeep….except when it comes to kids???!

I’m expecting my first baby in just a few months and my husband is concerned about a car seat in my JK. I feel like it’s doable, but now I’m hoping to find someone who can speak from experience?

I know my lifted, oversized tires will make it a little more difficult…but I’m not willing to give it up!

1- if you have a car seat in your JK, does it fit comfortably? I’m concerned that it’s a two door.
2- does the car seat go in the middle or can it go on one of the sides?
3- should I be concerned for safety with only having a soft top?

My husband wasn’t thrilled by my joke (but not) of putting the car seat in through the top or back.

Again, probably extremely silly questions but all things baby mixed with Jeep is a new world to me.

Pic of my potential mom mobile attached. This was after probably my one and only car detailing. Thank you in advance!

91A66D5C-CDA7-4CEC-8425-25192D6C56D4.jpeg

I’m expecting my first baby in just a few months
Congratulations.
and my husband is concerned about a car seat in my JK. I feel like it’s doable, but now I’m hoping to find someone who can speak from experience?
Of course it's doable. Our kids are grown, but between us we have 10 kids and 14 grandkids. I've decreed that they are no longer named. Just numbered.
These are our lifted grandparent cars.
IMG_0829.JPG IMG_5039.JPG
The darker one is hers. It's on 3" of lift and 35's. Mine is on 5" of lift and 35's. No problems with car seats in either.
1- if you have a car seat in your JK, does it fit comfortably? I’m concerned that it’s a two door.
I put car seats in the rear buckets of a '95 Trans Am, working around a roll bar. We honeymooned in England, which meant getting two weeks worth of luggage in a Porsche 911. I'm pretty sure it'll be easier to get a car seat in your Jeep...
P5270010.JPG DCAM0192.JPG
2- does the car seat go in the middle or can it go on one of the sides?
The middle is the safest place (and rear facing...) so put it there. But we put them three across at times. Because 14 grandkids...
3- should I be concerned for safety with only having a soft top?
Why? The fiberglass hardtop on a Wrangler provides no significant protection in a rollover. The roll cage does that. And if we assume your baby is properly restrained in a car seat, it doesn't really matter. The seat itself provides protection. I've treated a couple kids who were in a car seat, but the car seat itself was not restrained. They were flung out of the car and bounced down the road. And had no injuries. Two is a ridiculously small sample size, but it's undeniable that car seats are awesome protection.
My husband wasn’t thrilled by my joke (but not) of putting the car seat in through the top or back.
Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference how you get the seat in there. The only thing that matters is that it's properly installed and the baby is properly restrained.

Congratulations.

Of course it's doable. Our kids are grown, but between us we have 10 kids and 14 grandkids. I've decreed that they are no longer named. Just numbered.
View attachment 123118 View attachment 123119
The darker one is hers. It's on 3" of lift and 35's. Mine is on 5" of lift and 35's. No problems with car seats in either.

I put car seats in the rear buckets of a '95 Trans Am, working around a roll bar. We honeymooned in England, which meant getting two weeks worth of luggage in a Porsche 911. I'm pretty sure it'll be easier to get a car seat in your Jeep...
View attachment 123121 View attachment 123120

The middle is the safest place (and rear facing...) so put it there. But we put them three across at times. Because 14 grandkids...

Why? The fiberglass hardtop on a Wrangler provides no significant protection in a rollover. The roll cage does that. And if we assume your baby is properly restrained in a car seat, it doesn't really matter. The seat itself provides protection. I've treated a couple kids who were in a car seat, but the car seat itself was not restrained. They were flung out of the car and bounced down the road. And had no injuries. Two is a ridiculously small sample size, but it's undeniable that car seats are awesome protection.

Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference how you get the seat in there. The only thing that matters is that it's properly installed and the baby is properly restrained.
Okay this is the THE THE most helpful information!!! I appreciate it more than you know. Like I said, I’m an avid researcher but baby stuff is literally an entire different language. I’ve screenshot your entire reply just so I can access it easily just in case 🤣

This lifts so much weight off of my shoulders because at 80,000 and only a few payments left, I JUST FINALLY FOR NOW got my Jeep basically exact the way I want it, minus a few small things. I was losing sleep over the thought of it not working.

Thank you again 🙏🏻 you are a god send!

Congratulations.

View attachment 123118 View attachment 123119

View attachment 123121 View attachment 123120

Hmm. Upon further checking out my backseat, I realized I don’t have a middle seat belt. Only two sides? 🤔

Hmm. Upon further checking out my backseat, I realized I don’t have a middle seat belt. Only two sides? 🤔
Oh yeah. I always forget that the 2-door is considered a 4 passenger vehicle. So modify that portion of my reply.

Reactions: BigAL07
I’m assuming it will have to be okay on one of the sides. I really appreciate your info though. Thank you again!
It'll for sure be better than in the middle with no belt. ;)

Rear facing in the middle of the rear seat is ideal, when possible. When it's not, either side of the rear seat is your best bet. If you don't have a rear seat, then the passenger seat is your only choice.

New parents worry. That's just how it is. But remember that regardless of the position of the child seat, the best protection is defensive driving.

Reactions: BigAL07
It'll for sure be better than in the middle with no belt. ;)

Rear facing in the middle of the rear seat is ideal, when possible. When it's not, either side of the rear seat is your best bet. If you don't have a rear seat, then the passenger seat is your only choice.

New parents worry. That's just how it is. But remember that regardless of the position of the child seat, the best protection is defensive driving.
You are sooooo right! Thank you again for this info. I really appreciate it and am eternally grateful for your replies!