JK Hard Top: Roof Top Tent holders Roof Rack / Cross Bars?

bamegg

Hello Everyone,

I couldn't find any relevant answers in this forum, so I start this thread. Sorry if I missed an existing one, hope you don't mind.

The topic is:
I want to put a Roof Top Tent on a 2 doors Jeep Wrangler, JK and trying to figure out what I can and want not.

First I need something that holds the Roof Top Tent, right?

So I need to know how much a Roof Top Tent weight. Short research brought me to a 100-250 lb average, let's maximise this to 300 lb.

The tent is meant to include people in there, let's say 2 person, each average 160lb, let's round this up to 400 lb because they also move around and have time to time unevenly distributed weight.

This makes 700 lb together. For safety let's round this up again to 800 lb. Too much? Should be something to hold, I think.

Now the QUESTIONS are:

How much weight can a 2 doors HARDTOP carry, if it can carry at all with ROOF RACK CROSS BARS?
The answer google give me to this question is 160 pounds, but that the load capacity of the hardtop it self, if you seat directly on it, it won't break. But i am talking about Cross Bars with the roof-top-tent's bottom hard shell that distributes the weight on the bars or another solution.

I found these products on ebay with a very appealing price range:

1) http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=154044190950
$117.59 - The description says each bar can carry up to 88 lb. That is weird! I could install doubled (4 pieces), still good price.

2) http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=154044190950
$199.99 - The description says each bar can carry up to 130 lb. That is still not enough! I could install doubled (4 pieces), the price would be too much for such a thing.

What is your best solutions for a Roof Top Tent if not the Cross Bars regarding price, safety and effectiveness that includes extra weight load, stability, airgonomics and complicity of installation/removal?

We are here talking about 2 doors, hard top JKs.

What is your experience? Thanks.

IMG_20200801_154248.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler JK Forum may be compensated.
Dude, that looks like a lot of weight on the rear suspension. Maybe a trailer would offer you more options.
Marilyn Monroe looks good, though!

Dude, that looks like a lot of weight on the rear suspension. Maybe a trailer would offer you more options.
Marilyn Monroe looks good, though!
A trailer is not an option for me, thanks. This thread is meant to be about the roof rack for roof tent. Cheers.

Brad with Trailrecon on YouTube did a review on a roof rack that incorporated a metal frame inside the hardtop to support the weight above. You might could search for that video on YouTube. It's a sleek design only downfall is you have to drill holes in the top for the mounts