JK Front Big Brake Upgrade

Stinger

So I wanted to upgrade the front brakes of my 2015 JKU Altitude, and read days worth of info on different options, and was going between the Crown Big Brake and the JL HD brakes(seem similar, but kind of leaned towards the JL, due to just having to remember to ask for 2020 Jeep pads, not a Dodge 1500 from 2008 or something). Also wanted drilled/slotted front rotors, love the look. Ran across a good deal on front rotors for Powerstop Big Brake Kit Upgrade rotors, so I asked the obvious diameter/thickness questions, and was told they were 12.9", same as the JLU HD and the Crown BBK, so I ordered them. Wanted Powerstop Extreme pads and Powerstop calipers/ brackets but couldn't locate the calipers/brackets, and decided to get some new Carquest JL calipers/brackets. Went to install, trimmed dust shields, and realized the new JL calipers/brackets won't fit- the brackets hit the rotors' hub before they line up to the knuckle bolts on the bracket. Powerstop BBK rotors are 13.4", not 12 9". I would love to keep the larger rotors, but am unsure if there are any calipers/brackets that will fit. Called Powerstop, their BBK bracket/calipers kit uses the factory JK single piston calipers, not the JL dual piston, which I would also like to keep, if possible. I thought the Powerstop kit was for both Jk/JL, figured it would use the larger calipers, but not according to Powerstop. Before I return the Powerstop 13.4" rotors and step down to the complete JL HD setup, does anyone have any better info/suggestions?
Thanks, and hope this may help someone else in the future!

Reactions: vaffanculo
So I wanted to upgrade the front brakes of my 2015 JKU Altitude, and read days worth of info on different options, and was going between the Crown Big Brake and the JL HD brakes(seem similar, but kind of leaned towards the JL, due to just having to remember to ask for 2020 Jeep pads, not a Dodge 1500 from 2008 or something). Also wanted drilled/slotted front rotors, love the look. Ran across a good deal on front rotors for Powerstop Big Brake Kit Upgrade rotors, so I asked the obvious diameter/thickness questions, and was told they were 12.9", same as the JLU HD and the Crown BBK, so I ordered them. Wanted Powerstop Extreme pads and Powerstop calipers/ brackets but couldn't locate the calipers/brackets, and decided to get some new Carquest JL calipers/brackets. Went to install, trimmed dust shields, and realized the new JL calipers/brackets won't fit- the brackets hit the rotors' hub before they line up to the knuckle bolts on the bracket. Powerstop BBK rotors are 13.4", not 12 9". I would love to keep the larger rotors, but am unsure if there are any calipers/brackets that will fit. Called Powerstop, their BBK bracket/calipers kit uses the factory JK single piston calipers, not the JL dual piston, which I would also like to keep, if possible. I thought the Powerstop kit was for both Jk/JL, figured it would use the larger calipers, but not according to Powerstop. Before I return the Powerstop 13.4" rotors and step down to the complete JL HD setup, does anyone have any better info/suggestions?
Thanks, and hope this may help someone else in the future!
I thought of getting big brakes and rotors when I replaced all of them in my jeep but it's really not necessary it's not like your driving an F250or a big horn ram pick up .the jeep is a light vehicle even with all the add on big tires bumpers etc. So I just stuck with Detroit axle brand never an issue. As for slotted rotors think again especially if your off road a decent amount of time because if something gets wedged in one of those drilled holes you will destroy your caliper and rotor and possibly even the brake line ..good luck man

Reactions: BigAL07
I thought of getting big brakes and rotors when I replaced all of them in my jeep but it's really not necessary it's not like your driving an F250or a big horn ram pick up .the jeep is a light vehicle even with all the add on big tires bumpers etc.
A stock 4 door Rubicon weighs about 4,600 pounds. That is NOT a light vehicle. Built, you're EASILY looking at 500-1,000 pounds more. An F150 and the Ram 1500 both start at around 4,800. That's about a 4% difference, stock-to-stock. I do not think that 4% is significant by any stretch of the imagination.

A stock 4 door Rubicon weighs about 4,600 pounds. That is NOT a light vehicle. Built, you're EASILY looking at 500-1,000 pounds more. An F150 and the Ram 1500 both start at around 4,800. That's about a 4% difference, stock-to-stock. I do not think that 4% is significant by any stretch of the imagination.
I understand what your saying but though a stock f250 will range from 5600lbs too 7300lbs you have too take in too consideration they are meant to carry heavier items thats why they have a higher gross vehicle weight rating and I would definitely look into a brake upgrade for that but a Rubicon
I understand but a f250 or big horn rams curb weight is anywhere from 5500 to 7200lbs thats not including the pay load and they can tow 7 tons or have a 3300 lb payload in the bed your jeeps curb weight is 4600 ibs and the gross vehicle weight rating is about 5600 lbs so to have bigs brakes isn't really necessary .regular stock brakes are sufficient enough .i see these rice burners and low riders with them all the time and they are mainly put on for show

I understand what your saying but though a stock f250 will range from 5600lbs too 7300lbs you have too take in too consideration they are meant to carry heavier items thats why they have a higher gross vehicle weight rating and I would definitely look into a brake upgrade for that but a Rubicon

I understand but a f250 or big horn rams curb weight is anywhere from 5500 to 7200lbs thats not including the pay load and they can tow 7 tons or have a 3300 lb payload in the bed your jeeps curb weight is 4600 ibs and the gross vehicle weight rating is about 5600 lbs so to have bigs brakes isn't really necessary .regular stock brakes are sufficient enough .i see these rice burners and low riders with them all the time and they are mainly put on for show
My F250 tips the scales at just under 8000lbs with all my crap in it. It has a GCWR of 24,900!

Screenshot_20240422-173507_Chrome.jpg

And a 2005 Peterbilt 379 has a GVW of 52,000 pounds. An irrelevant comparison is an irrelevant comparison. If you're going to compare the Wrangler to a full sized pickup, the only reasonable comparison is to a 1/2 ton truck.
A Wrangler build up easily increases the weight by 20% and can double the unsprung weight. A brake upgrade is absolutely a good idea, especially if you're planning on doing any actual off-roading, with inclines significantly steeper than any street vehicle is intended to see.

Reactions: tJKrider